Talk

Advanced search

Did early weaning improve your dc's sleep?

(18 Posts)
alitesneeze Mon 27-Jun-11 08:06:39

Ds is 16 weeks is bottle fed and feeds non stop. I have posted about it previously. Through the night he has6x6oz bottles and I am thinking of weaning him next week or giving him to an orphanage

He shows no sign of slowing down. I suppose I should mention he has reflux. Dd had 1 bottle through the night for ages and weaning made no difference (weaned at 24 weeks) so I am really asking for other people's experiences of early weaning. Thank you!

memphis83 Mon 27-Jun-11 08:14:08

Have you tried hungry baby milk? My ds had terrible reflux, have the docs given you Gaviscon? it thickens the milk, makes them fuller and they arent sick as much usually, My ds didnt get on with it as it was too thick for him so I moved to humgry baby milk and at 17 weeks my HV advised me to wean.

Starting with baby rice in the morning and at lunch then after around 4 weeks making it 3 meals a day, ds hated rice so I got him ftuity porridge, Plum do a lovely one in Boots it uses wholegrains so it fills them up more, after a week or two if he takes to it I stasrted sweet potato, brocolli, parsnip, pear, apple. They suggest at a younger age to add one food at a time so dont mix flavours. If you still find he isnt sleeping well another tip my hv gave me was some porridge about an hour before his bedtime bottle.
Good luck

SindyTellsMe Mon 27-Jun-11 08:20:10

I weaned both of mine at 5 months as they were crying & reaching for food and massive chunky babies. they were totally ready and much happier for it, but it did nothing to change/improve night waking. Sorry!

hildathebuilder Mon 27-Jun-11 08:31:19

my tiny tiny ds (prem) reflux improved dramatcially with weaning, so his sleep also improved as the pain went. But it can go either way

TittyBojangles Mon 27-Jun-11 10:34:41

I weaned at nearly 6 months and it has made no difference to DS's sleep, still wakes at about 4.30am for a feed.

alitesneeze Mon 27-Jun-11 15:18:53

I think I will try hungry baby milk at night and see if that makes a difference. If not I think I will try some baby rice. I presume you have to take it extra slow at 17 weeks so will stick to the rice and porridge for a while and hope that will make a little bit of difference if hungry milk isnt filling him a bit more. Thanks for your comments, I guess it's a 'try and see' kind of situation

pilipala29 Tue 28-Jun-11 15:12:57

My DS1 was a very hungry baby and drinking full bottles every 4 hours throughtout the day and night and still looking as if he was looking for more food so we weaned him early (15 weeks) with just a spoonful of baby rice a day to start. We gave this at 6ish and from the first day onwards he slept from 9am to 8am! Happy days. So in my case it definitely made a difference.

rushingrachel Tue 28-Jun-11 15:43:23

My ds is 18 weeks and the doctor advised starting weaning because of the reflux. I've only done a couple of days of a tiny bit of rice but hoping it will do something for us as the reflux is never ending and he takes regular gaviscon.

alitesneeze Tue 28-Jun-11 21:32:44

He is pretty much insatiatable (he's on his 3rd bottle in as many hours at the moment. Last night between 2am and 8am he had 5. 2 of them were back to back!)

Re the reflux I have been in 2 minds about weaning early because I have been told that it can just mean real vomit instead of baby milk sick. Given how hungry he is tho I don't have much choice really! I hope you find it helps rushing as I know what a nightmare it is. And the endless washing... <sigh>

CosmicMouse Wed 29-Jun-11 07:49:22

Have you tried bigger bottles? DD was on 8oz at a time at that age. There is a massive growth spurt around this time which is often confused with a need to wean early. No food known to man is as calorie and nutrient rich as his milk, which is why that's what he wants more of whilst he's growing. All baby rice will do is physically fill up his tummy and stop him taking as much milk as his body is telling him to drink.

It is a hard old stage, I remember it well! DD was just a bottomless pit. But we waited until she was showing the true signs of weaning (sitting unaided, interested in our food, putting hand to mouth accurately) and she took to Baby Led Weaning beautifully at just over 5mo.

Made no difference to her sleep mind you!

rushingrachel Wed 29-Jun-11 10:02:49

I know about the laundry. It just mounds up in huge piles every day. I have to change everything after practically every feed.

I've had the reverse problem really, DS didn't seem to want enough milk. All babies are different aren't they?! He LOVES the rice, though, he sits up in his bumbo flapping his arms and grinning with delight when he sees it approaching. He tried to grab the spoon yesterday. So I've not been too worried about the fact that baby rice is not in fashion, I've just been happy he's happy and followed what the doc told me. I have no idea if it is going to help with the reflux. Fingers crossed it will.

alitesneeze Thu 30-Jun-11 22:39:55

cosmic bottomless pit is exactly how to describe ds! I am convinced he needs something more than just milk already tho, he's been getting steadily more hungry since he was 12 weeks. Am thinking a bit of baby rice mixed with milk once a day wont stop him getting the calories he needs and might give me a chance to keep up with all the bottles he needs prepared!

How has ds's relax been since having the rice rushing?

rushingrachel Tue 05-Jul-11 09:14:07

I have to say since giving rice and a small amount of fruit and veg the reflux is FAR FAR better. Only one change of outfit yesterday! And he got through his christening on Saturday in the christening outfit without bringing up a whole load of cottage cheesy looking reflux on me or himself. Very pleasing development.

ilovemountains Tue 05-Jul-11 12:27:23

Just want to correct a factual inaccuracy in CosmicMouses's post in case other people are using these posts for information.

"No food known to man is as calorie and nutrient rich as his milk" sounds good but is NOT true.

Breast and formula milk are very high in calories and nutrionally superbly balanced. However there are foods that contain more calories, including foods suitable for early weaning such as avocado and banana. There are also foods that contain more of some nutrients than milk.

Excellent news rushingrachel. Must be a relief for the washing machine as well!

cocoachannel Tue 05-Jul-11 12:36:48

We have just started early weaning and on just a bit of fruit or veg puree once a day we have noticed a positive change in DD's sleep, particularly during the day. She has moved to taking two short naps (45 mins) and a longer (2 hour nap). Prior to weaning she just took short naps. Like rushingrachel's DS she gets very excited when we put her in the Bumbo and she sees the bowl! She also wants to feed herself and grabs the spoon if she thinks DH or I are being too slow with the next spoonful.

I decided to wean early as having moved to FF at 15 weeks as DD really struggled with BF, and seeing an improvement in her weight and temperament, she still wasn't taking much milk. She only had one dirty nappy a week and when she did poo the poor thing was in agony. I tried extra water but it didn't help so added the puree and she now poos daily. I offer the same amount of milk as before introducing the solids and she takes more and guzzles her bottle offered after her puree.

cocoachannel Tue 05-Jul-11 12:37:58

We have just started early weaning and on just a bit of fruit or veg puree once a day we have noticed a positive change in DD's sleep, particularly during the day. She has moved to taking two short naps (45 mins) and a longer (2 hour nap). Prior to weaning she just took short naps. Like rushingrachel's DS she gets very excited when we put her in the Bumbo and she sees the bowl! She also wants to feed herself and grabs the spoon if she thinks DH or I are being too slow with the next spoonful.

I decided to wean early as having moved to FF at 15 weeks as DD really struggled with BF, and seeing an improvement in her weight and temperament, she still wasn't taking much milk. She only had one dirty nappy a week and when she did poo the poor thing was in agony. I tried extra water but it didn't help so added the puree and she now poos daily. I offer the same amount of milk as before introducing the solids and she takes more and guzzles her bottle offered after her puree.

Obviously early weaning isn't for every baby, but I trusted my instincts and followed the signs DD gave me and so far it is working well for us.

cocoachannel Tue 05-Jul-11 12:39:39

Sorry- should say we started the purees at 18 weeks...

rushingrachel Tue 12-Jul-11 13:53:38

Hey alitesneeze ... checking in to see how you and DS are doing with the reflux? I'm still creeping forward with the early weaning and it's worked really well. DS pathetically happy when he sees the spoon approaching, had no issues with tummy ache etc. Have given him rice, carrot, sweet potato, courgette, apple and pear. Pear with some rice and milk mixed in is like a michelin starred meal to the guy. His sleeping is great now. He's almost dropped a milk feed at his own discretion (the one that used to fall at around 11pm) .... working for me still.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now