Talk

Advanced search

8 month old won't drink from cup

(9 Posts)
squifflybobs Mon 27-Jun-11 06:48:59

My 8 month old has been EBF to date, apart from a 10pm bottle as a "dream feed". During the day I can't get him to take water from a cup or a bottle (have tried various different ones). I think he just doesn't like having the spout put into his mouth - he will drink from a spoon.

I'm getting a bit paranoid that he'll be dehydrated, although he appears fine and weaning is otherwise going well . Does anyone have any ideas on how to resolve this - and does it matter? I'm giving him a free flowing cup to play with in the hope that he'll find out how to do it himself, but he's proving annoyingly inept despite being able to get everything else he encounters into his mouth without problem...
Many thanks

TanteRose Mon 27-Jun-11 07:05:24

if you are still breastfeeding, it doesn't matter one jot! just bfeed him often during the day, if its hot. Your milk will change to become more hydrating in warm weather smile

keep trying with the cups, though - he will get it eventually smile

squifflybobs Mon 27-Jun-11 07:57:13

Thanks - I'm trying to cut down on milk to 3/4 feeds a day as I increase his solids. However, will keep an eye on the weather - I'm in New Zealand so it's winter. At least I don't have to worry about 30 degree heat!

TanteRose Mon 27-Jun-11 08:02:09

well, breastmilk/formula should still make up most of his nutrition until he's one year old...solids are often said to be "for fun til they're one" as his body can't digest solids as efficiently yet...

so don't cut back too much smile and as I said, he will keep hydrated better that way. He will be drinking from a cup more in a couple of months, and you can maybe cut back a bit more then.

You are doing great - hope its not too cold!

virginiasmonalogue Mon 27-Jun-11 08:06:56

my 11 month old won't drink from anything but my boob! I must have every sippy cup/beaker/bottle on the market but he's just not interested. Doesn't like solids much either!

memphis83 Mon 27-Jun-11 08:07:20

My ds is 11 months, has never drank from a cup, have spent a fortune on them and now have a cupboard full of them, we have a doidy cup now, when he was about 8 monts we gave it him and now he is finally taking sips, even in this heat he wont drink apart from 3-4 feeds a day, ive been doctors and they said there is no need to worry, the one thing they do get from food before 1 is fluid, porridge has milk in, peureed fruit is mainly water and so id steamed veg, he has been like this for months and is fine, try not to worry.

TittyBojangles Mon 27-Jun-11 10:38:21

My DS (nearly 8mo) is JUST starting to get the hang of his doidy cup. He will take a few sips from his TT free flow one but only if he is lying down (I know, I know). Literally in the last couple of days he's started to get enthusiastic about grabbing the doidy cup and shoving it in his mouth, which is great. The next challenge is to encourage at least some of the water into his mouth rather than down his front.

I have been trying with these two cups since about 5 1/2 months.

squifflybobs Tue 28-Jun-11 21:37:33

many thanks for replies - I've not tried a doidy cup, obviously another bit of plastic for me to invest in!Glad this isn't a unique problem.

pollyr01 Tue 28-Jun-11 23:35:36

hello - just wanted to check - are you talking milk from a cup or water? My dd (7mo) is also ebf, and will now finally take water from a sippy cup. But not milk. An old skool Tommy Tippee sippy cuy. They must have them in NZ - probably the cheapest on the market. No valve involed (and been advised not to bother with these as it is a) far too free flowing without valve and b) to diff to suck with valve) - plus you can put the nipple bit down when they want to wave the cup around. Ive been trying every day for about 2 months (also worried about what will happen when I go back to work) and she has finally got it, only ever put water in it. I let her play with it at every meal and showed her how it works; I also firstly used pear juice (as a nice sweet reward and she loves pears) and at a time when I knew she was a bit thirsty/peckish (4pm) so more receptive. She then wanted to have a go herself. Liquid goes everywhere at first but it shoudn't take too long. Just don't push them to actually drink straightaway and let them feel comfortable with it.
otherwise have you tried getting them to sip/lap from an egg cup? Has worked for lots of my friends.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now