Talk

Advanced search

Is it ok to give fish finger to a 11 month old?

(9 Posts)
sassyminder Wed 22-Jun-11 22:11:19

Just a question ok, please do not shout at me if it is not ok...thanks for your reply

BikeRunSki Wed 22-Jun-11 22:14:11

yes, fine

Bird's Eye are least crappy.

MooM00 Thu 23-Jun-11 10:10:31

I do. But I remove the crispy coating on one side so she gets more fish less crumb. Sometimes I take off all the coating , it's a really convienient way of cooking a little bit of fish.
Read the packets as the salt content varies.
You can get salmon fish fingers but they are hard to find.

MooM00 Thu 23-Jun-11 10:12:15

You can also make your own, much nicer but take a little more effort:

Take pieces of fish, dip in flour then egg then semolina and shallow fry.

hobbgoblin Thu 23-Jun-11 10:13:03

Erm, yes. Oven cook don't fry of course.

They are made of edible stuff, fish is good, breadcrumbs are okay.

They are good feed yourself baby foodage!

What is it you think might not be okay about them?Is it because they are a convenience item?

Babies don't eat our guilt grin

mrsravelstein Thu 23-Jun-11 10:14:31

my younger 2dc (3 and 17 months) both love fishfingers and would pretty much eat them at every meal if they could.

worldgonecrazy Thu 23-Jun-11 10:27:31

Yes of course, I would fry them. Babies need a lot of fat for their growth, so don't worry too much about giving them high fat foods as long as it's the non-hydrogenated sort.

schmee Thu 23-Jun-11 10:38:43

Check what artificial colours are being used and how much salt if you are worried. But as part of a balanced diet I don't see why not.

littleducks Thu 23-Jun-11 10:48:31

I really like waitrose cod/haddock jumbo fish fingers with mash and peas. They are chunks of fish not slithers.

But to answer the question any fillet fish finger (as opposed to mince) with a 'normal' breadcrumb coating (not the luminous orange stuff) should be fine...just call them goujons wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now