Talk

Advanced search

Breakfast - Im stumped

(16 Posts)
LaCiccolina Wed 22-Jun-11 12:39:42

Hey, DD is nearly 7mths. Shes been on a plum baby porridge but has suddenly disliked it. I think its just she's had it every day for nearly a month and fancies something else....

Cant think of a damn thing else to give her though. What can she have?

Yogurt? - dairy? Any recommended brands?
Cereals? - make these up with baby milk? Again which brands?

Dunno what they are allowed. Gave her a bit of scrambled egg the other day, just not sure if I can be bothered doing that every day. She plainly wants some variation! (Can't say I blame her.....)

JoinTheDots Wed 22-Jun-11 12:50:22

My DD has toast fingers most mornings, with peanut butter on (smooth), fruit puree, cheese spread (philly), or whatever I am putting on my toast (other than nutella, because I think if I gave her that she would never want anything else!). Have been doing this since she was 6mths.

I tend to use yoghurt as a pudding, and have had mixed results with cereals (most of it ends up on the floor/her hair/nose/ears) and I am not a cereal fan myself.

Some friends give weetabix made with formula though and the report the little ones love it.

MovingAndScared Wed 22-Jun-11 12:50:29

bananna? other fruit?
I did plain yoghurt with fruit purree sometimes
weetabix?
ordinary poriage - or you could do porriage fingers
and or maybe she is not that hungry-

Seona1973 Wed 22-Jun-11 12:53:24

ready brek, weetabix, yoghurt, pancakes, toast, etc They are allowed pretty much anything except whole nuts, honey, highly salted foods, etc. You can make cereal up with full fat cows milk from 6 months as long as the main drink remains breast/formula milk.

Octaviapink Wed 22-Jun-11 12:53:35

Ordinary porridge is fine - anything with cooked milk is ok. You could grate some apple into it. Toast fingers are good too, or any kind of yogurt (full fat, obv).

ruddynorah Wed 22-Jun-11 13:00:03

She can have anything at 7months. And you can use plain cows milk for cereal if you want. How about different breads? Croissants, crumpets, brioche? Pancakes? Different cereals? Mine always liked raisin wheats by kellogs. Also malted wheats. I used to soak them in milk then scoop them onto their table for them to pick up.

CMOTdibbler Wed 22-Jun-11 13:01:50

I'd just give her whatever you are having for breakfast. Unless its super sugary, in which case its a good chance to eat healthier yourself

Snooch Wed 22-Jun-11 13:03:28

DS2 always loved Weetabix or Oatabix with warm milk and mashed banana. He still does, and is 2.3 now smile You could also try it mixed with any kind of fruit puree really.

rodformyownback Wed 22-Jun-11 20:34:33

my ds2 is the same age. i ran out of plum porridge recently and moved him onto morrisons "instant oat cereal" (assume it's the same as ready brek). it is fortified with all sorts , has only a "trace" of sodium and costs pennies. in fact it's so fab i'm trying to eat it myself, but i bloody hate porridge! you can use cow's milk for cereal at this stage.
i also give him a bit of toast or soft fruit to practice with

rodformyownback Wed 22-Jun-11 20:43:33

re yoghurt, my ds2 will eat plain unlike his picky older brother! i buy onken greek style which is really creamy, not tart at all. i mix this and porridge with various fruit purees for variety.
you could also try using fruit puree as jam on toast. another thing I couldn't do without is Natex - low salt marmite. You can get it from health food shops, my ds2 has it on toast.
Hope that helps!

TittyBojangles Wed 22-Jun-11 23:00:46

You could do cheesy scrambled egg (in the microwave for less hassle). Or make an omelette with whatever else you have in, tom/ham/cheese/onion/spinach etc etc and give her some big slices.

DS has also had loads of different fruits for breakfast, today was a whole peach and a big slice of melon. Tomorrow is a more tropical theme with papaya and mango.

Also toast with cream cheese/banana/peanut butter/fruit spread/hummus etc.

And occasionally stuff left over from our tea so maybe curry or chicken pasta or whatever. I'm pretty sure he doesn't realise these are strictly 'breakfast foods' so hasn't objected as yet. grin

I prefer to give weetabix/yoghurt/anything sloppy enough to need a spoon pre bath at night as he likes to apply a full face, head and body mask feeds himself.

MrsGubbins Thu 23-Jun-11 06:02:29

crumpets are a big hit with 7 month DD

LaCiccolina Thu 23-Jun-11 09:04:52

Golly! Breakfast in ur houses sounds more fun than ours then! :0) love the ideas, thanks alot x

LaCiccolina Thu 23-Jun-11 09:05:56

True, hadn't remembered dd doesn't know rules of food so brekkie could be curry! Hee hee!

MockingbirdsNotForSale Thu 23-Jun-11 20:51:53

DD has plum baby porridge often. We do it with whizzed up fruit rather than milk and water and vary the fruit. Good ones are peach and banana, peach and raspberry etc. The peaches are usually tinned in their own juice.

A fruit plate is another option, with some toast. Pancakes are popular here too.

ThePetiteMummy Fri 24-Jun-11 19:19:15

Dd has 2 slices of toast with unsalted butter + a banana, which used to be mashed, but now she bites off pieces of (now 15 months). She never took to any form of cereal, so I just gave up on that & give dairy later in the day.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now