Talk

Advanced search

Sandwiches

(13 Posts)
NoTeaForMe Thu 16-Jun-11 15:32:28

Hi all

My baby is nearly 8 months old and I wondered about giving her sandwiches for lunch! She is coping really well with finger foods now and loves toast but I wondered about bread, I was thinking sandwiches would be an easy lunch to take out and about with us.

Also at the moment I am steaming carrots and brocolli for her as finger food, when can she have raw carrot? She's very good at biting bits off things and bites lots off she chews well but can bite off a bit too much!!

Thanks

ronx Thu 16-Jun-11 15:43:14

I give my DD sandwiches and started when she was about 8 months old. She has fillings like Philadelphia cheese and a thin spread of chutney, baby food from a jar, or mashed banana.

headfairy Thu 16-Jun-11 15:46:01

my dd loved all kinds of sandwiches (still does) the best thing is you can get them to eat lots of things you might have struggled with before. DD's favourites are egg mayo or tuna mayo. Philly and very finely chopped smoked salmon (a teeny bit) is also a favourite. Houmous is good too. Depending on your feeling about peanuts, peanut butter is a great one because it's so nutritious.

I think they can have raw carrots at any age, but don't expect her to get very far with it until she's got more teeth grin

NoTeaForMe Thu 16-Jun-11 15:53:45

She has 4 teeth already and I think that's the problem! She can vote off the carrot but not necessarily chew it well when it's raw!

Lovely, maybe I'll try sandwiches tomorrow! What other fillings can I try?!

Thanks

NoTeaForMe Thu 16-Jun-11 15:54:57

Ha ha! Clearly I mean she can bite the carrot not vote it!!

Pootles2010 Thu 16-Jun-11 16:01:48

I gave my 11 month old sandwiches for first time other day, simply hadn't occurred to me before, but nursery gave them to him and he loved them!

He had Dairylea in them, I had to cut the crusts off as he was struggling with them a bit.
Had great fun, squishing them in his little fists to make all the cheese squidge between his fingers grin

shubiedoo Thu 16-Jun-11 17:40:50

I mix a little low sodium tuna in with the philadelphia, mmm! If you mash well, cooked chicken works too.

pinkyp Fri 17-Jun-11 00:07:59

I'd avoid the peanut butter till there a little older- my boy has a peanut allergy was discovered when he was 3 not a nice thing to see.

splatt Fri 17-Jun-11 08:32:08

Can't see why not, just watch the salt.
They're only supposed to have 1g a day and bread has about 0.5 g per slice so 2 slices would be enough on their own to reach that recommended limit

Paschaelina Fri 17-Jun-11 08:39:37

Marmite is a favourite here

VeronicaCake Sat 18-Jun-11 14:28:39

DD likes egg mayonnaise and cress, brie and tomato, tuna and sweetcorn, and hummus with left over roast veg.

She loves sardine sandwiches but only gets them at tea time because she needs a bath after eating them. Not a great one for out and about (unless you want people to leave you and your stinky baby well alone!).

Paschaelina Sat 18-Jun-11 20:02:05

Mmm sardine sandwiches yum. Mine deconstructs most sandwiches and flings random bits of filling round the kitchen.

grin

BartletForAmerica Sun 19-Jun-11 22:29:00

Re: peanuts, the current thinking is that, unless you have a reason like family history to suspect an allergy, we should be introducing them before 12mths at least, as later introduction might actually make an allergy more likely. Speak to your HV if you're not sure what to do.

My 10mo DS loves soft cheese or peanut butter on toast or rice cakes. I'd not thought of sandwiches so will need to give them a go.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now