Talk

Advanced search

protein at every meal?

(6 Posts)
sedgiebaby Thu 16-Jun-11 13:13:17

I notice a comment or two about the importance of protein, even at each meal, this makes sense to me, I'm just wondering how other mums are managing this as I've avoided egg (I know a baby with a terrible reaction, mum puts this down to giving it to her too early, and its made me delay introducing it).

Breakfast I'm struggling with. We are not vegetarian, and I manage to let her meat or fish or cheese at lunch and dinner although I'd like to include some more vegetable protein if I can.

blackcurrants Thu 16-Jun-11 15:55:59

for spreadable protein at breakfast we use peanut butter (the kind that's just mushed peanuts, no salt, no other oils) on rice cakes, or cream cheese on rice cakes. Mainly though I give him meat at breakfast -either a bit of kabob or homemade meatball or burger from last night, OR I tend to have a quiche in the fridge and I give him a slice of that. Means he eats egg and spinach together - win!

I don't know how early is too early with regards to egg - we waited until after 6 months to do everything, and he's not had any problems. But of course, each baby is different and family histories of allergies differ.
Hope this helps.

Seona1973 Thu 16-Jun-11 16:17:59

I dont think they need protein at every meal. Ours have cereal or scone or toast, etc for breakfast and have protein at the other 2 meals which is plenty.

Seona1973 Thu 16-Jun-11 16:20:24

from babycentre website:

High iron and high protein foods

Offer these at one or two meals each day. They include meat, fish, eggs, nuts and pulses. Pulses are foods such as kidney beans, chickpeas, hummus, lentils and dhal. Offer soft, tender cuts of meat as some toddlers find hard, chewy meats challenging. Choose good-quality sausages, meatballs and burgers that have a high lean meat content and a low salt content. They are popular and nutritious for toddlers.

Vegetarians or children who refuse to eat meat should have some pulses, eggs, nuts or beans at two or three meals each day to get enough iron.

sedgiebaby Sun 19-Jun-11 12:52:41

Thank you for all the replies this really helps. I'm going to look at cream cheeses and nut butters. Also thinking more about pulses but wondering if they are windy and difficult to digest, I guess I could start with just a little.

cardamomginger Mon 20-Jun-11 00:04:40

Our HV, who is pretty clued up, said that for 8 month old DD I had to make sure that during the course of a day she had something from each of the food groups. So I don't think protein is needed at every single meal.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now