Talk

Advanced search

cows milk on breakfast cereal?

(10 Posts)
GooGooGadget Tue 14-Jun-11 16:04:09

I breast feed my 7MO DD.

ATM I express milk to put in her porridge, but it is a PITA. Do I have to buy formula or can I go straight in with the full fat milk?

RitaMorgan Tue 14-Jun-11 16:19:17

Cows milk is fine.

TittyBojangles Tue 14-Jun-11 17:58:47

yup, cows milk is fine. Just not supposed to be used as a 'main' drink, i.e. to replace bm before 1yo I think.

mandoo Tue 14-Jun-11 18:14:57

yes that's fine on cereal. I put my son on cows milk from 9 months. The health visitor freaked hehehehe!

TittyBojangles Tue 14-Jun-11 18:24:45

Why did the HV freak mandoo?

mandoo Wed 15-Jun-11 18:07:13

Because I replaced the powdered milk for cows milk to early. Apparently this can cause allergies to dairy, eczema and other skin conditions. She had a go at me more or less. having been a nanny for many years previous to having my DS I took it all with a pinch of salt. HV can be rather scary at times, to be fair I have met the odd lovely one!

RitaMorgan Wed 15-Jun-11 18:38:58

Cows milk isn't suitable as a feed for a child under 12 months - it is too low in iron and vitamins and has too much protein and sodium for a baby. It's not about allergies, it is just inappropriate nutritionally. Sounds like your HV didn't explain this clearly.

RobynLou Wed 15-Jun-11 18:41:18

cows milk is fine in/on food but not as a drink until over 1.

so long as it's as well as not instead of bm/formula it's fine.

kiwi5 Thu 16-Jun-11 15:39:35

is it ok at 6 months old??

RobynLou Thu 16-Jun-11 18:31:35

so long as it's no instead of formula/bm but in addition to then yes, cows milk is fine from 6m.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now