Talk

Advanced search

Chicken at 8MO

(16 Posts)
greeneone12 Mon 13-Jun-11 14:16:53

My DD won't have a bar of the variety of chicken puees I have cooked. She loves the vegge ones! Any ideas....I have tried making them sweeter by adding apple etc but no joy!

Why don't you just hand her a lump of chicken and see what she makes of it?

greeneone12 Mon 13-Jun-11 14:23:45

I am doing finger foods alongside purees. Just annoying as I vatch cooked loads!

greeneone12 Mon 13-Jun-11 14:27:13

vatch = batch

I never imagined her turning her nose up at chicken in puree form as she has been quite good with everything else so far.

gourd Mon 13-Jun-11 15:11:11

Our LO has always loved chicken - so much so that she stars whimpering for it, along with her special "Give me that meat now" eye rolling and windmilling of her arms (which is so funny it always has me roaring with laughter) as soon as I get it out of the oven! We gave her pieces of roast chicken at 24 weeks and she had no trouble eating it, even though she had absolutely no teeth. She's only got 2 teeth now at nearly 9 months, but they really eat with their gums anyway - now, she can even manage a quickly griddled steak, though it does take her a bit longer to break down than roast or stewed meat.

greeneone12 Mon 13-Jun-11 16:56:41

So you are saying just try it as finger food?

jenrendo Mon 13-Jun-11 16:59:02

Just give her a sliver of it and see what she does! Don't be disheartened. I read somewhere that a baby can try something up to 20 times before deciding if she likes it or not. My DS didn't like chicken puree but likes chicken strips to suck on x

GooGooGadget Tue 14-Jun-11 15:46:17

have you tried meat puree? the texture is horrid.

I did dice mine up really small with a knife but its a PITA. so his time I made some goujons, cut 'across the grain' and DD loves them. Sucks them to bits smile

GooGooGadget Tue 14-Jun-11 15:58:24

have you tried meat puree? the texture is horrid.

I did dice mine up really small with a knife but its a PITA. so his time I made some goujons, cut 'across the grain' and DD loves them. Sucks them to bits smile

cardamomginger Tue 14-Jun-11 16:18:43

I roast DD's meat in the oven with a bit of water and some olive oil and then break it down into small bits by cutting across the grain. Roasting gives a bit of flavour and it keeps its texture. I mix it up with pasta, potato, other veggies, fried mushrooms, tomato, smushed avocado. At 8 months your DD should be able to cope with lumpy foods OK, although if she is used to purees from a spoon take it gently until she gets the hang of it. Yes - meat purees are NASTY. As are fish purees. Yucksville.

greeneone12 Tue 14-Jun-11 20:45:01

I tried some little pasta shapes the other day and she was fine so seems ok with lumps. I am going to give her some chicken to chew on and see how we go. She likes the vege stuff I make....just don't want to go down the pouch and jar route if I can help it as I was all ready to cook everything for her.

cardamomginger Tue 14-Jun-11 21:36:29

I do home cooked too. For chicken I roast a leg for her, pull it into bits and then freeze in portions. For beef, lamb and turkey I roast chunks and then either shred and freeze in portions or just freeze the roasted chunks and then defrost and shred as needed. It's quite easy to build up a good stash in the freezer. I generally tend to cook and freeze batches of single veggies, meat, etc and then defrost a selection and combine in her bowl to produce the actual meals.

greeneone12 Wed 15-Jun-11 19:46:58

Well i tried giving her bits today and she took one look and cried! Maybe she is vegge?

FloweryBoots Thu 16-Jun-11 16:38:52

My DS prefers veggie food to meaty. I'm veggie and DH is a meat eater so he just has what I'm having more often. We found he does eat meat better if it's been stewed, I guess it's a different texture then as it's been cooked in liquid and for a long time. There's lots you can do with the many types of lentils and beans. Is it all meat, or just chicken, or is that all you've tried so far? And have you tried fish? My ds loves little fish cakes I've made him (I can't stand fish, but there you go)

cardamomginger Fri 17-Jun-11 14:12:01

Shame! Maybe try mixing a small amount of shredded meat in with something that she likes?

greeneone12 Sun 19-Jun-11 10:22:28

I have tried chicken and salmon so far. Actually the other day she did have some spoons of chicken with tom's but she had it sitting on my lap. Think I will do a chick casserole so the meat is a bit softer - thanks floweryboots

Also she loves sweet potatoes so will try and mix some with that. Thanks cardamomginger

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now