Talk

Advanced search

First tastes

(8 Posts)
amoney Fri 10-Jun-11 11:14:47

Hi all, my ds is 18 weeks and I'm not planning to start weaning until 6 months but I have been reading about giving first tastes from 4 months and just wondered when you all started to introduce first tastes to your babies?

cheers smile

CMOTdibbler Fri 10-Jun-11 11:18:12

First tastes = weaning imo - its still giving your baby solids. I waited till 6 months

sancerrre Sat 11-Jun-11 14:54:38

I let mine lick/suck an apple when I was eating one so he just got the juice, just to get a little taste. And then felt guilty about it ...

MrsTerryPratchett Sun 12-Jun-11 02:53:27

CMOTDibbler, surely sausage in a bun would have been your LO's first taste grin

I gave DD a taste of mango at 5 months, tongue thrust, didn't try it again until 6 months.

JarethTheGoblinKing Sun 12-Jun-11 03:01:22

Give it another few weeks, it makes no difference to sleeping patterns (in our case it made it MUCH worse)

Just hand him some toast when you're having breaskfast, give him a slice of omlette at lunch and a bit of pasta, a chip, peas, half a sausage, a banana or whatever you're eating at dinner. Don't worry about proper food being nourishing until he's one, much more important to get him used to different tastes and textures while he's tiny and receptive : )

CMOTdibbler Sun 12-Jun-11 10:28:43

grin MrsTP. I lobbed a pear at him tbh, but every time he has a hot dog (he's 5 now) I want to go sausageinnnnabun smile

ShowOfHands Sun 12-Jun-11 10:31:30

You don't need to introduce 'tastes'. That's just eating solids with a different name.

When he's ready to wean (sitting up, lost the tongue thrust reflex, able to pick up and put food in his mouth), he'll be getting all the 'tastes' he needs.

whitechocolatebuttons Mon 13-Jun-11 17:18:56

DS3 is sucking a massive carrot as i type. Very nice and cold on his poor gums and more nutritious than his teething ring. He is nearly 5 months old.

I don't believe this counts as weaning as if it did he would have been weaning on his own fist for the past month!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: