Talk

Advanced search

Easy dairy-free breakfast finger foods...

(14 Posts)
dairymoo Wed 08-Jun-11 21:35:57

...suitbale for a spoon refusing 7month old? We do toast, fruit, and I have dabbled with making porridge pancakes but does anyone have any other suggestions?

I know that pancakes, omelettes, etc can be dairy free but TBH I just want something quick and easy as my older DTs are happy with cereal/yogurt/toast/fruit and I don't really want to be 'cooking' breakfast every morning.

Thanks in advance smile

MarionCole Wed 08-Jun-11 21:41:35

Weetabix?

Paschaelina Wed 08-Jun-11 21:52:55

Been there. Currently hot favourite seems to be quarter weetabix with a couple of spoonfuls of soya yoghurt on top and some fruit on the side. Boy manages this quite well in his finger. He is also a spoon-refuser.

Paschaelina Wed 08-Jun-11 21:53:36

fingers shock FGS!

He's not monofingered!

estya Wed 08-Jun-11 22:06:25

Mini shredded wheat soaked for a few mins in rice milk.

dairymoo Thu 09-Jun-11 09:47:17

Ok great, will give those a try. Bit scared of the Weetabix though....even attempting to spoonfeed, it gets everywhere!

hwhite6 Thu 09-Jun-11 13:28:56

Make a batch of pancakes (with mashed banana in the batter, yummy!) and freeze the rest, easy to zap in micro of a morning.
I've made another batch with grated carrot & courgette for LO to have at lunchtime instead of rice cakes every day!

Muffins, either savoury or sweet, are good for breakfast, lunch, snack, or pudding. Again make a batch & freeze till needed (normally take them put night before for breakfast, or that morning for lunchtime).

dairymoo Thu 09-Jun-11 19:54:39

Thanks, freeze ahead pancakes are a good idea. Do you just add the banana/courgette, etc to the batter as normal before cooking? And I'm guessing you need to put baking paper between them before freezing as they'd stick together?? Or maybe there's an easier way?

dairymoo Thu 09-Jun-11 21:46:49

hwhite6 - do you have a good savoury muffine recipe by any chance?

FutureNannyOgg Fri 10-Jun-11 22:00:15

Toast soldiers with nut butter or fruit puree on. A banana and a Goodies cereal bar is my standard quick emergency brekkie.

gourd Sat 11-Jun-11 11:43:47

A little protein at every meal is very important. A scrambled egg (no need to add anything, just whisk it) is easy for our LO to pick up and only takes about 40-50 seconds in the microwave. Served with toast and fruit (fresh or dried) it's a good balanced meal. She had it this morning, as I forgot to save her any of my porridge.

FloweryBoots Mon 13-Jun-11 10:23:05

Do you guys have a dairy free pancake recipie? PLease share!

dairymoo Mon 13-Jun-11 14:01:36

Just replace milk with oat milk/soy milk & butter with oil or pure spread. That's what I do anyway! smile

hwhite6 Tue 14-Jun-11 21:36:13

Pancakes; I use milk they can have (used formula before now, but LO was the only one to eat those!) Yes add mashed nana or grated veg into the batter mix. Recipe I use makes thicker, smallish pancakes.

150g self raising flour (have used SR GF, worked fine)
1tbsp caster sugar
180ml 'milk'
1 egg
+ grated/mashed something
Mix altogether, drop 1tbsp into a pan at a time, flip, eat. Freeze any leftovers, but there might not be any!
Yes, freeze between greaseproof paper (do this for slices of cake or HM bread etc too)

Savoury muffin, no set recipe (need to ask nephew he made them!) carrot & apple always a fav, and bacon & spinach worked well too. Will work on these.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now