Talk

Advanced search

To heat or not to heat

(4 Posts)
toomuchtooyoung Wed 08-Jun-11 17:00:15

my dd is finally eating enough food to warrant making my own, so far we've been using the ready made pouches and pots. She happily eats them at room temperature or straight from the fridge, I didnt really what to get into heating things up as we are frequently out and about

So at the weekend I plan to make a big batch of chicken casserole and freeze portions for the week.

But do I need to heat them up? Won't microwaving destroy any goodness as well as possible bacterias? And if I warm in hot water then how do I know what temperature to get it to to be safe? Or do I need to heat at all?

Vegasgirl Wed 08-Jun-11 18:11:56

You have to heat meat to piping hot then cool to feeding temperature after freezing, you are OK to defrost fruit and veg purees and give cold or slightly warmed.

I think using hot water might be tricky in that case. I use my Bebecook steamer or the microwave if in a rush. I don't think the microwave kills the nutrients as such but I know some people wont use them at all.

Hth

Seona1973 Wed 08-Jun-11 21:16:31

I agree that you need to heat to piping hot and then let cool to eating temperature. I use/used the microwave to both defrost and reheat frozen foods or you could reheat in a pan.

LaCiccolina Thu 09-Jun-11 18:05:54

I find about 15-20secs in a microwave is more than sufficient to get it to temp. If I cant really comfortably stir it with my finger its not going near dd's mouth. I also eat it - similar logic applying! That would apply for hot water too, don't need a thermometer fortunately. Can 15secs really kill off that much goodness? Has it ever bothered you with anything you heat in it for 4-5mins? If you wouldn't mind room temp casserole go for it..... Suppose if thats all baby gets baby doesn't know different....?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now