Talk

Advanced search

How do I deal with constipation?

(13 Posts)
Amirasmummy Tue 07-Jun-11 16:57:06

...not mine, obviously! Have been slowly weaning for about 4 weeks, it was all going fine but then she didn't poo for 5 days (it was a big one!) and now in the past 3 days she's been farting loads and produced 2 pebbles. Does anyone have any tips?

ChildofIsis Tue 07-Jun-11 17:00:55

We used to give dd small amounts of pure apple juice diluted 50/50 with water. The hv advised it when we had the same problem.
The doc gave us movicol, it was too harsh and sent her the other way.
It was very messy! ( sorry tmi)

Seona1973 Tue 07-Jun-11 18:44:36

are you offering water with meals? baby rice and bananas can be constipating so if you are offering these you could cut them down/out

greeneone12 Tue 07-Jun-11 19:34:55

My DD has been like this for the last 3 days sad I have been offering water and she has been drinking. Off to the doctors soon as she really strains when she goes. Its horrible!

MockingbirdsNotForSale Tue 07-Jun-11 22:31:22

When DD was 6 months she preferred purees to doing BLW but after a couple of weeks became easily constipated/hard poos. We switched to BLW when she refused to be fed and have had no constipation since. I think the bigger chunks of food help and skins go straight through. If your baby has purees, perhaps you could offer finger food instead? Also, if you bf, up the feeds a little as thats a great bowel stimulator.

Amirasmummy Wed 08-Jun-11 06:10:57

ok have been offering water and upping bf over recent days but after a night of screaming (something seems to hurt her) think its time to see the doctor. thx for the tips!

greeneone12 Wed 08-Jun-11 09:35:03

I am off to the doctors today too. Would be interested to hear what yours says amirasmummy

Amirasmummy Wed 08-Jun-11 11:03:51

hi greeneone, she did a massive poo this morning (red face, lots of straining and grunting) so I decided not to take her, and to cut down banana and rice a bit as PP have suggested. Let me know what your doc says though - I am thinking of the apple juice tip above.

Morebounceperounce Wed 08-Jun-11 14:04:43

I've been paranoid about constipation since I started weaning and have been using the following as preventative measures, which seem to work in keeping DD stools soft, especially when she wasn't great at drinking water.

- mashed avocado and full fat plain yoghurt
- mashed cannelleni beans with veg purees (the skins are fibrous, as Mockingbird says)
- frozen spinach cubes with veg puree
- steamed prune or dried apricot puree with yoghurt

Hope your DD is pooping like a trooper soon!

toomuchtooyoung Wed 08-Jun-11 17:07:46

My dd was the same, lots of straining, red face, not much to show for it. I'd already been giving her stewed prunes at breakfast with her porridge, plus water when she'd drink it.

Doc said that i was doing all the right things and that her body will gradually adjust as weaning progresses. As long as she's not screaming in pain and something is coming out.

A few weeks later and the porridge/prune combo is working a treat, everything's a lot softer, still red in the face but at least I know what's coming out

toomuchtooyoung Wed 08-Jun-11 17:08:43

Oh yes, and I cut out banana completely, known for it's constipation effects

Amirasmummy Wed 08-Jun-11 17:15:21

am loving the idea of prune and apricot, will get some in the next shop. but am not sure will cut out banana completely as she really likes it!

greeneone12 Wed 08-Jun-11 17:42:27

amirasmummy mine did exactly the same. A massive poo today and I forgot the change bag. Typical! I still went to the doctors as needed to get DD weighed.

My doctor said that we should try pure fruit juice mixed with water and if she gets really really bad then half a spoon of brown sugar mixed with water but only to do this very rarely. She also said that massaging vaseline around the anus would help alleviate any discomfort while actually passing stools. Oh the special jobs us Mummys get to do!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: