Talk

Advanced search

BLW - support and advice needed, PLEASE!!

(10 Posts)
thepriviledge Mon 06-Jun-11 17:45:51

I would like to do BLW as all the kids of friends who've done it are great eaters. I've read Rapley's book. Saturday my DS turned 6 months. We put him in the highchair, put some fruit and steamed veg in front of him on a plate and table and he had ZILCH interest. The same went for yesterday and today. He is more interested in looking around than the food. I'm not sure he even registers its there.

He's never grabbed anything out of my hand, so I knew he wouldn't be hugely interested. He is FF and a great feeder. He was a tiny baby at birth, didn't thrive for a while but has caught up.

I don't want to get neurotic or despondent about it because that would be ridiculous so early. But obviously it does give my mum and MIL the chance to get straight in there with, 'I think you should do purees.'

Any suggestions? Should I maybe help him with the food? On a spoon? Any suggestions of what to give to start tempting him? My husband says just leave him, but it's hard to watch him not eat a thing.

Thanks all.

tigermummy35 Mon 06-Jun-11 19:31:48

Maybe he's not ready yet? Do you eat with him? Does he follow your food with his eyes? Our DS puts absolutely everything in his mouth (hair brush, other people's fingers, his own feet etc) so eats well from the plate. He's just under 7 months. We found that feeding him milk first meant he wasn't remotely interested in food, so now we start with breakfast and then he can have milk after. We tried purees, but he didn't like them, but does eat baby porridge, so not technically BLW but helps himself to finger food.

RitaMorgan Mon 06-Jun-11 19:37:37

Does he pick up anything and put it in his mouth?

Have you tried handing him things/putting them in his hands?

RitaMorgan Mon 06-Jun-11 19:38:35

Oh and are you sitting down with him and all eating together so he sees what you're doing?

Flisspaps Mon 06-Jun-11 19:39:02

I'm with DH - leave him to it smile

Babies get all the nutrition they need from milk until around 1 anyway - remember, food is for fun until they're one grin

WorrisomeHeart Mon 06-Jun-11 20:42:13

Yep I agree with letting him be for the moment until he's interested. He's getting everything he needs from the milk and he needs to want to explore the food if the BLW is going to work.

thepriviledge Mon 06-Jun-11 21:12:53

hi all

Yes, we all eat together, or I've eaten with him. And yes he shoves a lot in his mouth and he follows what we put in our mouths v closely. But never made any further move.

A friend tonight suggested that maybe after milk (which the book suggests, so they're not hungry but not frustrated) isn't great - so he should be a little hungry. And perhaps to give him some soft apple on a spoon - just to see if he's interested in the food. That way I'll get an idea whether he's ready or not.

I agree with DH, too, really, but it's a weird one because its quite a big deal starting them on solids, technically

thepriviledge Mon 06-Jun-11 21:22:47

But - another quick question - if he's not ready (not grabbing, not showing interest in food) do you just keep him at the table, sitting with us as we eat etc, so that he gets used to it? Does he become ready at his own pace?

browneyesblue Mon 06-Jun-11 21:26:41

It is a big deal starting them on solids, and it can be very frustrating when they don't eat/don't eat as much as you'd like, but your husband is right - let him figure it out in his own time.

It's easier said than done, as I remember only too well. I remember willing my DS to just swallow his food at times, but he was distracted by other things. He soon figured it out though. It took him even longer to eat proper size meals, so I had to be very patient, but again he got there and now he packs it away! It just takes time for babies to realise that food will fill them up. There is no rush though - as Flisspaps says, he is getting all the nutrition he needs from his milk still.

I don't think it would do your DS any harm to mix things up a bit and give him some food before his milk. If he gets frustrated, you can just give him his milk and try again next meal.

When he does start eating properly, you will probably wonder why you were so concerned (I did!)

browneyesblue Mon 06-Jun-11 21:28:09

Oh, and yes, keep him sitting at the table. He gets to see what you are doing, he can have a few bits of food in front of him to play with if he wants to, and it's nice for him to be included in a social situation.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: