Talk

Advanced search

7 month old, 7 teeth, want to BLW but baby just bites off huge chunks and chokes

(9 Posts)
sevenhamstershopping Sun 05-Jun-11 20:38:24

I would really love to do just finger food, but with a 7 month old with 7 teeth, he has no problem in biting off huge mouthfuls and then he chokes on them.

I do not want to have a heart attack and be hooking out food with my little finger every time he takes a bite out of anything as it's making me dread mealtimes.

Got one of the little nets you can stuff with food, and he likes lumpy/textured mashed food.......has anyone else experienced this - teeth so early? Should I stick with the net and the mash, and slowly just mash less as time goes on so he learns to chew....?
Breadsticks, toast, carrots, cheese. chicken.......he just bites off a lump and then tries to swallow and it's so damn scary!

TittyBojangles Sun 05-Jun-11 21:01:56

My DS is 7mo and has 6 teeth, I know what you mean about biting off big lumps, especially things like pear or lumps of cheese. I do find he can deal with these lumps himself fine though. He does cough and gag a little sometimes but if I leave him to it (obviously wouldn't if he was choking) then the piece either pops out or goes down. I have never used a net thing but whatever works for you. I do find that giving him say a whole apple is better than a slice of apple as he can sort of gnaw away at it. I'd TRY to relax about it, but if you really can't then mash stuff up if that works for you two.

sevenhamstershopping Sun 05-Jun-11 21:10:03

www.jojomamanbebe.co.uk/sp+Baby-Weaning-Mealtimes-2-Babysafe-Feeders-with-Refills+B3340

Thanks for the advice - I just worry that if he was really choking, I wouldn't know how to help him (even though I have the picture cards of what to do on the inside door of my larder)
I might try the suggestion of bigger things, like the apple - or just be brave and let him deal with the lumps and ignore the gagging......

HarrietJones Sun 05-Jun-11 21:10:13

Don't put your finger in as it can push the food in instead of allowing him to cough it out. Have you done first aid training? I've found it makes people more confident in feeding someone if they know what to do

FutureNannyOgg Sun 05-Jun-11 21:55:12

Can you offer soft finger foods like sweet potato wedges that will squish in his mouth easier? You could also give him a loaded spoon or soup-soaked bread that will fall apart really easily.

Also I would avoid intervening when he "chokes", he's probably gagging rather than choking, if he is coughing, then he is breathing, and capable of bringing it up himself. Obviously you shouldn't be leaving him if he is really in trouble, but jumping the gun and taking stuff out of his mouth or slapping his back will scare him more than letting him deal with it, part of the process is learning how far and how much goes into their mouth comfortably.

RitaMorgan Mon 06-Jun-11 14:30:40

I'd do a baby first aid course so you know what to do.

I think babies often bite off more than they can swallow and gag a lot at first, with or without teeth. It's part of learning what they can manage. If they are coughing it is gagging rather than choking though, as choking is silent - try sitting on your hands and counting to 5 to see if he gets it out himself.

As long as he is sitting up straight and not reclined or slouching, and you are giving him soft foods (no sticks of raw apple, whole nuts etc) he should be alright.

MockingbirdsNotForSale Mon 06-Jun-11 17:26:42

I find that DD chokes with carrot especially, but so far she's dealt with it herself quite adequately then carries on eating. I do now though steer clear of carrots! Good finger foods for us are sweet potato, parsnip, potato, courgette, that kind of thing. Anything that develops a crust but is soft inside iyswim.

KnitterNotTwitter Mon 06-Jun-11 17:32:17

this is going to sound weird but if you let him gag on the food - I agree it's scary - he'll learn what to do all by himself.... Banana's and Kiwi are good food too....

sevenhamstershopping Tue 07-Jun-11 20:38:04

Thanks all! Will try and be brave from now on smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: