Talk

Advanced search

Skin reaction to fromage frais

(5 Posts)
ellesabe Sun 05-Jun-11 09:23:51

I gave my dd some strawberry fromage frais for breakfast this morning and she loved it! For the first time since we started weaning she was opening her mouth wide and lunging at the spoon smile

However, when I wiped her face at the end, I noticed that her skin had gone all red and blotchy where the yoghurt had been on her face. Is this an allergic reaction? If so, what am I supposed to do about it? It didn't seem to bother her at all and I feel it would be a shame to not give her fromage frais again as she liked it so much!

I was thinking of maybe trying a different flavour tomorrow and seeing if the same thing happened. Has anyone else experienced similar?

hwhite6 Sun 05-Jun-11 09:32:11

If she has other dairy products without reaction, I doubt it's the fromage frais; it's more likely to be the strawberry. try a small piece of strawberry on it's own and watch her. She may be touch reactive if she picks it up in her fingers too. If so just don't let her eat them for a while.

cardamomginger Sun 05-Jun-11 17:26:50

If it happens again, take a photo and go and see your GP and ask to be referred to a paediatric allergist. Get some infant piriton - our allergist says to give 2.5 ml if our DD (8 months) has a reaction to anything. It's not licenced for use in children under 1 year, I think. But DD's consultant has said it was OK for us to use. DD was 7 months when I asked.

ellesabe Mon 06-Jun-11 12:04:52

We just tried the apricot flavour and she had the same reaction. Perhaps we'll go and see our gp when we get back from holiday next week. I really hope it's not a dairy allergy.

dairymoo Mon 06-Jun-11 14:23:35

My DD1 had this when I introduced dairy (had been EBF) and it turned out to be a dairy allergy. She couldn't have any cow's milk products but was fine with goat's cheese & sheep's yogurt, but bizarrely not goat's milk or yogurt. confused For cereal, etc I used Oatley oat milk which can be used in cooking fairly easily.

I am just starting to wean DD3 and she has reacted similarly so think we will go down the same route with her too.

I did see a paediatric dietician who said that DD1 would most likely outgrow the allergy by the time she was 3, and lo and behold, by the time she was 2.5 she wasn't reacting at all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now