Talk

Advanced search

Any thoughts on goats milk over cows milk?

(12 Posts)
sedgiebaby Thu 02-Jun-11 13:09:08

You know how it is I'm so busy I can't read up on this properly but my mum is not a fan of dairy (from cows) and encouraging me to think about goats milk (she owned goats and milked them and brought us up on it) I'm not doing that! But it is readily available and just wondering if anyone has any thoughts as to advantages or otherwise?

MockingbirdsNotForSale Mon 06-Jun-11 21:50:07

Its meant to cause less allergy. I was given it as a child as I was allergic to cows milk and my mother was obsessed with getting me to have milk in the belief that I'd be severely deficient in calcium if I didn't have it. Its revolting (but then I don't really like the taste of cow's milk that much either) and a few years ago I tried a goats milk yoghurt...also repulsive. So for me the disadvantage is the foul taste!!

meditrina Mon 06-Jun-11 21:56:12

I gave my DC's goats milk (bridging between the end of EBF and going to when they were comfortably over a year and switching to ordinary cows milk). I really couldn't say if it made any difference at all (other than giving nothing to formula companies) and they were fine on it, and none has proved as atopic as their father.

But it is one of the vilest smells imaginable when sucked up at 3am
< still Shudders at memory now >

meditrina Mon 06-Jun-11 21:57:22

"sucked" ?!?! sicked [wunk]

lots33 Tue 07-Jun-11 14:50:07

My DS has goats milk on cereal etc because cows milk gave him a rash. He is nine months old now and BF. It is available in all supermarkets and the sell by date is longer than cows milk for some reason. He loves it and I will switch to it as his main milk when I finish BF. HTH

DillyDaydreaming Tue 07-Jun-11 14:56:23

It's definitely not deemed suitable as an infant formula and we are advised not to recommend Goat's milk for children under 1 year as there are other milks which can be prescribed to replace milk for babies who are dairy intolerant.
On the other hand if your little one is eating well then the extra nutrients in an infant milk might not be needed anyway. Lots of controversy about Goat's milk - personally I can't see that it should be a problem at 9 months.

zlaya Thu 16-Jun-11 15:27:57

Hi, we had Ds on New Zeland goats milk formula from 6 months it did her a world of good, from 1 year onwards until today (she is 4.10) on fresh goats milk St. helens and Witrose brands. For us it was choice rather then need, she did not have a medical need and she did tolerate cows milk, but we read so many good things about goats milk that we decided to give it go and never looked back. We originate from different part of the world, where goats milk is considered to be almost medicinal and often given to children and people with different conditions: skin complaints, respiratory complaints, brittle bone and so on. Fat from goats milk is much more easy to digest, on glass 200ml of goats milk contains two times more calcium then glass of cows milk. Goats milk is next near best thing to brest milk, our Ds made transition from brest to bottle with no digestive problems, which is not the case with cows milk. For mo proof is in the pudding, Ds has beautiful teeth, glossy hair, amazing olive clear skin, not a dry patch in sight, never suffers from constipation, these are pros, cons are: goats milk formula is very costly, about £10 per tin, two times more then tin of best organic cows milk formula, hope this helps.

sedgiebaby Sun 19-Jun-11 12:51:16

zlaya I just saw your post and I am really interested now in following this up. Might I ask where you get the goats milk formula? Thank you.

Thanks all for the replies

MyThumbsHaveGoneWeird Tue 21-Jun-11 17:34:48

Hello, DS is quite atopic and his dermatologist has recommended we use camel milk when cooking for him instead of cows! Says it is much less allergenic.

PS we live in a country where camels are quite a big deal smile

zlaya Sat 25-Jun-11 16:16:25

Dear sedgibaby, website is:Goodness direct, hope this helps, you can order as little or as much you like. We used to order box if six tins.

LynhewMattne Mon 11-Jul-11 10:44:18

Hi there, I'm new to Mums Net, and am desperately trying to find out info on Nanny Goat milk as it's been recommended as a last resort by our Paedatrician! My 23 week old daughter has tried everything from Aptamil 1, Pepti, Nutramigen, Comfort and has had terrible eczema, gut problems and desperate difficulty feeding until we switched her to the Nanny Goats milk 2 weeks ago - she is a different baby!! She now guzzles her milk in 10 mins and instead of it taking me 6 hours to get 25 ounces down her, she now has 7-8 oz per bottle in 10-15 mins each feed, she is a different little girl!! She is much more settled, less wind and much happier!!!
The only question I can't find an answer to, is the Omega 3 and Omega 6 content of it - as it's not marketed here as formula, Vitacare can't advise, As my little one is only 23 weeks, I am reluctant to give her salmon even though the Paedatrician says it should be fine. I'm just worried about allergies as she's been so difficult already!!! Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts?

Thanks

LynhewMattne Mon 11-Jul-11 10:46:01

You get it from Waitrose or Amazon!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now