Talk

Advanced search

When does a quarter weetabix become too little?

(15 Posts)
Paschaelina Thu 02-Jun-11 09:30:39

9 months now, not "got" food yet, I know he's still very young but I'm wondering when I should start being concerned. Weight gain has stalled but its supposed to slow down after 6 months right?

iskra Thu 02-Jun-11 09:34:01

Do you mean he's not eating more than a quarter weetabix? DD is 3 years & she barely eats half a weetabix.

I don't think you should be concerned for a long, long while yet. IMO the key with solids is relaxing about it & telling yourself they will eat as much as they need to, they aren't really into starving themselves.

starfishmummy Thu 02-Jun-11 09:37:53

I agree with Iskra - just relax!!

TheSkiingGardener Thu 02-Jun-11 09:38:13

As long as he is offered a variety of foods, eating as much as he wants and drinking milk I wouldn't worry yet. Keep an eye on weight and height and check that at least one is increasing each time. DS is a gannet but he will go through the odd week of not eating much, they know what they want!

Paschaelina Thu 02-Jun-11 09:40:31

I know, it's just hard when I see his little friends eating for England, one had a whole weetabix plus half a banana for breakfast and she's tiny!

I obviously have a large baby with a small appetite and he's only dropped one feed so far so he's not starving, but it's hard when he takes an hour to eat so little, and that with massive amounts of encouragement.

I'm just waiting for the HV to start saying refuse the milk til he eats hmm

Paschaelina Thu 02-Jun-11 09:45:08

It's nice to come on here and be reassured that it's fine smile

This weaning lark is really the only thing I find so stressful.

TheSkiingGardener Thu 02-Jun-11 09:48:42

Ignore the HV if she says that! Maybe offer food before milk to encourage food though? I would also say just put a few choice morsels before him and be led by him, if he snaffles something up offer more but otherwise no fuss. Milk often has more calories than the food so he will be doing ok!

iskra Thu 02-Jun-11 09:48:43

Paschaelina, I found the weaning thing really stressful too. DD never ate a lot & didn't drop any milk feeds for a long, long time. She had a friend who would eat whole bowls of food! The only thing that I could do about was relax - I know it's easier said than done. You can't force them to eat & you don't want to make food an emotionally charged issue. Just give him healthy options & let him get on with it. He's still tiny. As long as he is growing he's doing fine. I didn't see DD start to really eat until she was closer to 18 months.

Paschaelina Thu 02-Jun-11 10:51:30

grin brew biscuit

Feel much better about it after eating my breakfast.

Thank you all for saying what I needed to hear.

JuicyLips Thu 02-Jun-11 11:11:42

mine eats three at 18 months but she has always been a good eater and would eat her brothers as well if given the chance. Ds was the opposite, would eat hardly anything and isnt much better now. It is just an individual thing.

BR44 Fri 03-Jun-11 18:56:25

I make up a bowl of half a weetabix and sometimes my 8mo will eat the lot, other times he barely manages half. A friend of mine who has a DD the same age told me yesterday that she ate ONE AND A HALF weetabix plus a whole banana for breakfast. And wouldn't you know - she's worried that her baby is eating too much!

I just keep reminding myself that my appetite fluctuates in response to a whole range of factors and there's nothing abnormal about that, so why shouldn't it be the same for him? I sympathise that's it's stressful, though. I manage to keep quite a cool head about my DS's other behavioural quirks, but when he's not in the mood to eat it makes me really quite anxious.

I make my 9mth old 1/2 weetabix with 50mls expresed milk and 1/3 pot hipp organic or plum organic fruit - some days he eats most of it other 2 spoonfuls!! (childminder did him whole weeatbix one day last week he ate the lot, another day he had none)

I used to worry as some days he eats barely anything and others eats loads and have had to stop stressing about it.

Trillian42 Mon 06-Jun-11 21:56:41

I'm not sure if it's reassuring or not, but almost 12mth old DD isn't great with solids either and varies from barely a spoonful of weetabix to, on one memorable occasion this weekend, a full one! Typically, she probably eats a third though (ie I put in a half and she eats most of the half). I usually give her toast afterwards to bulk up and a new discovery is that she really likes brown soda bread.

Was chatting to a relative who is a paediatrician about her not eating very much solids and he was extremely relaxed about the whole thing and said that babies do vary hugely in their solid intake and as long as she's taking some & still thriving, that there's not much point being anxious about it. He deals a lot with fussy eaters at toddler stage and didn't rate my description as being worth worrying about. "She's clearly getting her nutrition from somewhere" was the direct quote!

aichi Tue 07-Jun-11 10:32:17

Hi
Its reassuring to read others are going through the same thing as me/my dd. I also try not to stress out about it. My dd is 7months and she's on 3 meals. she usually doesnt eat much in the morning but seem to eat well lunch and dinner. so I try to tell myself as long as she shows interest in food or attempt to eat something during the day then I've done a good job as a mum.
But it makes me feel good after she's had half a jar of food!

I also find timing of feeding is important (and hard!)

TrillianWhoIsNotATwat Thu 09-Jun-11 11:19:48

Trillian42

Just wanted to say that you are lovely and also not a twat.

(in case you saw my name and thought I was being nasty about you)

the artist formerly known as TrillianAstra

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now