Talk

Advanced search

Recommend a book for help?

(7 Posts)
LaCiccolina Tue 31-May-11 17:01:33

hi, dd is now 6mths. Am going to start introducing food or purees now. I like the look of baby-led. Mil gave me an annabel karmel book. The two seem to contradict each other and I'm confused. Tried wikipeding ak but can't find any qualifications for her....is she a doctor? Or a well meaning person? Plainly baby led lot are not nutritionists which is fine as they are clear but can't tell what the other one is.

Can someone recommend another title / web page by someone else? Whole new territory...

Also am bfing at present, I return to work in 3mths. Am worried about supply.... If I need to switch to full time formula (I use sma when necessary but only a 125ml bottle - size fine for back up/top up but unsure if becomes full time thing) how much is right amount to give when I don't actually know how much dd has as she's on the breast? And what milk? Follow on? Any thoughts would help me feel less nervous on returning....

Thanks all! :0)

moaningminniewhingesagain Tue 31-May-11 17:06:56

File the annabel karmel book in the bin round cabinet.

Gill Rapley did the Baby Led weaning book, it is fab, this one

Put food in front of baby in largeish pieces so they can pick them up. No added salt, no nuts, no honey. Make sure baby is sat upright. Enjoy. That sums it up really.

moaningminniewhingesagain Tue 31-May-11 17:10:10

I would post on the breast/bottle board for the milk side, at 9 months you may not need to give another milk while you are at work, depending on whether you do long hours.

You could express if you wanted, or you could feed before and after work and at night, baby can have food and water when you are working.

Or you could offer some formula milk if you wanted. Lots of options really.

LaCiccolina Tue 31-May-11 17:13:47

Sorry asking last part as dh thinks milk stops at intro of food but one thing both books agree on is to keep milk up....this is right, yes? Cheers!

LaCiccolina Tue 31-May-11 17:14:55

Ah! Great! Thanks Minnie this is helpful :0)

moaningminniewhingesagain Tue 31-May-11 17:23:18

Oh yes, milk carries on for as long as you both want. DS started eating food just before 6 months and loved it, was a gannet from day one. He stopped breastfeeding at the beginning of this year at 25/26months.

I went back to work just after he turned one, he was quite happy with food and water when I was out and started having a bit of cows milk in a cup around 10/11months (BF was still his main drink so I was happy with this and didn't want to start giving money to evil formula companies buying unneccessary follow on/formula milks)

Quenelle Tue 31-May-11 17:29:57

Here's a good website with forum for BLW.

As with moaningminnie, I went back to work when DS turned one. DS was happy with food and water or cow's milk in a cup until I got home. I loved that first feed of the evening when I got home. Partly because at first my boobs were bursting, but mainly because it was so lovely to have a cuddle after all that time away smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now