Talk

Advanced search

cant do it

(6 Posts)
pinkyp Mon 30-May-11 10:18:24

My babys gonna be on breastmilk forever! All was going well last 2 weeks - he was having yoghurt for brunch and a fruit puree for tea but now he doesnt want anything.No idea how to get him to drink from a cup...no idea how much he should be feeding and when i give up!!! Suppose to be going back to work soon so i'll just have to leave my udders at home :/ btw this is my 2nd child so i feel even more of a failure.

gourd Mon 30-May-11 10:32:59

How old? When are you going back to work? Drinking from a cup worked for us but did take a few weeks to really get the hang of it to the point where our LO doesn't need any help to pick it up, drink and put down. We use a doidy cup and it has worked for us - LO would never take a bottle so has been exclusively breast fed up to 6 months when we started offering her a cup of water with meals. She's 8.5 months now and eats any food we put in front of her and drink a couple of cups of water at each meal/snack time. She will also drink soup or gravy/meat juices from the cup which means she can eat the exact same things we do at any meal, soups, roast dinners, stews and curries, pasta etc (we've never done purees). It has taken until now though to start dropping breastfeeds though. Yesterday and the day before, she only had 3 feeds in total all day, so I'm hopeful that she'll be down to morning and evening breastfeeds by the time I go back to work full time in 4 weeks time. Last month I posted something similar to this post, and now things are looking good, so don't despair, just keep offering cup or water with all solid food! At first they don't need much water as they're still having a lot of milk, but it;s a good ides to just get them used to drinking a little. It's only as they start to reply less on milk that water becomes more important, but even then, offering some juicy fruit (ripe pears, apricots, peaches and clementines/satsumas etc) is a good way of making sure they stay well hydrated.

gourd Mon 30-May-11 10:34:32

Sorry for typos!

pinkyp Thu 02-Jun-11 19:39:58

well he's barely having anything now sad half a yog this morning, he's just not interested but is very hands on so many i should be offering finger foods? He's now 6 months btw

Jojay Thu 02-Jun-11 19:44:41

Definitely try finger foods - big chunks of things he can hold onto easily, like half a banana, melon wedge with skin on etc. It'll get very messy but let him find his own way - my DS2 would never be spoon fed.

At 6 months he really doesn't need much in the way of food, milk is far more important. Will he take a bottle?

pinkyp Thu 02-Jun-11 19:46:07

not sure i've not tried since he was 3 weeks old, i dont have any expressed milk to try with, wasnt sure whether to try bottle or skip it & go straight to cup

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now