Talk

Advanced search

13mths won't drink cows milk or formula - I want to give up BF

(8 Posts)
2ddornot2dd Sun 29-May-11 00:27:22

I do try giving her cows milk every night at bedtime, but she just pushes it away and cries until she gets breastmilk. Gave up trying with formula a long time ago, as I don't think she ever drank any, although she has the odd ounce of cows milk every couple of weeks.

Do I give her juice, persevere with milk, or let her go to bed as she is. I don't think she is actually getting that much milk anyway. I don't feed to sleep unless she catches me out, but it is definately a big comfort after her bath.

DD1 just gave up one night when she was 11 months and she bit me and I gave her formula instead.

bearhug Sun 29-May-11 17:04:34

Hi

you may get a better response if you post in the breast & bottle feeding section. No idea myself, my DS is 2.5 and I am ready to give up too, but he has other ideas.

babybear5 Sun 29-May-11 17:08:37

With u all on this one. My dd is 16 months and im ready to stop but don't know how. Any advice would be great for me too smile

exexpat Sun 29-May-11 17:17:25

I stopped BF DS at 15 months, having tried and failed to get him interested in any other form of milk - expressed BM, formula, cow's milk, chocolate milk, soya milk etc. I thought he would gradually get a taste for it after I stopped BF, but he never did.

But actually, although milk-drinking is the norm in the UK, children really don't need milk in a healthy diet if they are getting calcium from other sources. DS is now a very tall, strong, healthy 5'8" 12-year-old who still doesn't drink milk.

I wouldn't stress about it too much, just stop BF if you think it is the right time for both of you, find a new bedtime routine (bath, story, bed or whatever), let your DD drink water when she's thirsty, keep on offering her different types of milk to see if she changes her mind, but it really isn't essential.

littleomar Sun 29-May-11 17:25:06

my second baby would never drink formula and he's never taken cow's milk from me (although these days he merrily chugs it down at nursery). i gave up bfing at a year because i had to go back to work. my health visitor said it didn't matter as long as he got two portions of dairy a day to cover calcium. he usually has milk with cereal at breakfast time and a yoghurt at some point - sorted.

MrsPlugThePlumber Sun 29-May-11 17:26:48

Do you warm the cows' milk? My ds wouldn't have it cold but didn't mind it warm.

anthonytrollopesrevenge Tue 31-May-11 21:45:18

Cheese, yogurt, milky sauces or rice pudding - my DD wouldn't drink formula or cows milk either. My friend's mum had the same problem and gave her DD goats milk which her DD loved. Mine started drinking normal cows milk at nursery when she was about 2.5 though she still isn't that interested. Loves pasta and roasted veggies in cheese sauce though and always has.

2ddornot2dd Sat 04-Jun-11 23:10:19

Just to let you know, I didn't feed her last night, and she cried for about 5 minutes, then drank a tiny bit of milk. Then she went to bed as normal. She then slept through until 7.00.

It was about the same today, but she drank about two ounces milk. She was thirsty this mornng, but not enough to wake her up. If you are in a similar position I would just go for it, I have been suprised how little she has cried.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now