Talk

Advanced search

8 month old with strong gag

(3 Posts)
Smokedsalmonbagel Fri 27-May-11 22:10:55

After some advice about my 8 month old DS2. Weaning is not going well!!!

He was always a sicky baby and was on gaviscon for a while. We started soilds at 5 months. Initially he was fine but 3 months on he is still on purees! Anything lumpy he gags on and is sick. He is not great with finger foods. Just plays with them and might have a tiny nibble. Finely grated cheese he managed, but I put it in his mouth which isn't ideal. Even thick purees can make him gag.

Anyway just wondering if anyone has any ideas or words of encouragement. HV says to keep trying. I wouldn't mind so much if it was just the gagging but he is often sick over himself and sometimes on me!

Just to mention I have seen the GP and she wasn't worried.

dm1mum Tue 31-May-11 14:21:10

My now 11mth DS2 was exactly like this - was on gaviscon too till about 8mth. I found it really stressful and worried he wasn't progressing etc etc Still gags pretty easily compared to other babies I think - but much less sick.

One thing that worked for him was giving him quite thick mashed food (like mash potato, sweet potato, banana etc) in small quanities on his tray for him to put in his own mouth. He managed this much better than thicker stuff on a spoon. I always did this before other thinner purees so that if he was sick it wasn't the whole meal coming up! Also offering a drink if he looked like he was starting to struggle sometimes helped.

Now a couple of months on he is still not doing a lot of chewing but is much better with lumps and manages finger foods which would make him vomit before. He much prefers soft things though - bread with toppings not toast for example. Crunchy or dry things do just seem to make him gag!
HTH

Smokedsalmonbagel Tue 31-May-11 21:37:01

Thanks for your reply.
I will give the thicker foods a try, although he still isn't great at finger foods. And the drink idea sounds good.

I guess they all get there in the end. Thought it would be easier second time round.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: