Talk

Advanced search

Want to share your favourite storecupboard baby recipes that require little to no cooking?

(8 Posts)
papillonrouge Fri 20-May-11 14:49:21

DS is 10mo and loves his food. We can't give him that much of what we eat as he is dairy allergic and we eat a lot of food with butter/cream/milk and also a lot of highly spiced food. I am pretty organised with batch cooking baby meals for the freezer but sometimes I want something quick and easy that requires no chopping, frying etc. My two favourites are:

Banana, avocado and tuna: mash half a ripe banana with half a ripe avocado and a quarter of a tin of tuna (buy the stuff in spring water rather than brine). Ds loves and it's super healthy. Also a good one for being out and about as you can make it in the cafe if you take the tuna in some tupperware.

Sardines, tomato and peas with pasta: one sardine from a tin of sardines in oil, a handful of frozen peas, quarter of a tin of chopped tomatoes (check the brand you have is salt free) and a bit of cooked pasta (normally from mine and DH's tea the night before!). Mash the sardine, mix with the other ingredients and microwave for 1.5 mins.

Anyone want to share any other ideas for inspiration?

vmcd28 Wed 25-May-11 12:04:13

one for adding to your freezer meals -
chop up some chicken and lightly fry with half a chopped onion. add a cup or two of water, and a handful of chopped dried apricots. Simmer for 10 mins, adding more water if it starts to dry out. Either serve as it is, or puree down if ds isnt ready for solid lumps of chicken! The apricots add loads of flavour. If you're not going to puree it all, you can also cook add carrots and or potatoes etc to the pot, and he has a few full meals prepared in the freezer. Only takes a minute or so to warm up once defrosted.

BertieBotts Wed 25-May-11 12:07:39

Tiny pasta shells, cook with handful of frozen peas, drain and stir through a dollop of soft cheese like philadelphia/dairylea etc. You can add chopped/torn up ham as well if you have it to hand.

BertieBotts Wed 25-May-11 12:09:56

Oh sorry I completely missed the dairy bit! blush

cardamomginger Thu 26-May-11 20:56:00

Mashed up microwaved sweet potato with mashed boiled egg and avocado.

Trillian42 Fri 27-May-11 12:13:03

Great idea! I feel like such a useless mother when I can't manage to cook and mind DD at the same time. She's so demanding that I find it almost impossible to prepare anything while she's awake. I often don't even get lunch for myself hmm

papillonrouge Sat 28-May-11 14:29:20

I thought no one was responding to this thread but haven't been on for a few days - thanks for the suggestions! Dairy ideas fine as I can always use substitutions - in fact there is some soya based cream cheese in the fridge now.

Wilfimina Sat 28-May-11 15:54:09

one of my cheaty meals is that microwaveable frozen rice with the vegetables in. It already has herbs so I cook it then bung in some cream cheese and a little chopped cooked meat (whatever we have in the fridge).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now