Talk

Advanced search

8 month old prefers BreastFeeding to food

(7 Posts)
lovemy2babies Thu 13-Jan-11 16:25:59

Dd2 has so far not really been bothered with food. I started weanin her at 6 months but she would just clamp her mouth shut.

She finally excepted food after 7 months and has continued to have small amounts each day.

I give her blw and feed her off the spoon.

However she would much prefer bf then food like now I know shed hungry so tried to give her dinner which she spat out and clamped her mouth shut and whinged until she got her bf!

Any idea how to get her to eat more food?

She is a good weight and size, I do think her appetite has increased due to growth and wants more bf.
Would make my life easier if she wasn't wanting bf every hour if she ate more

lovemy2babies Thu 13-Jan-11 16:26:46

Apologies for typos both Dcs climbing on me

muslimah28 Thu 13-Jan-11 17:27:10

i think just give it time and keep offering, eventually shell be more interested. also i found giving ds food an hour after a feed more successful to get him interested. as soon as a feed is due hed be too hungry and not want to give the food a try.

lovemy2babies Thu 13-Jan-11 17:34:03

Ahhh I see I was trying to give her food before a bf.
That makes sense!
Thanks

AngelDog Fri 14-Jan-11 22:33:21

Gill Rapley describes it as feeding curiosity rather than feeding hunger before 12 months.

PassionKiss Fri 14-Jan-11 22:42:31

Yes I tend to offer food after a bf - our routine at the moment is roughly:

6am - bf
8am - breakfast
10am - bf (then nap)
12 - lunch
2pm - bf (then nap) then sometimes mini- bf!
5pm - tea
7pm - last bf then bed

DD is 8 and a half months. Sometimes she loves her food, sometimes not interested. I am keen to cut down the bfs (especially frequent night feeds) so I'm trying to make sure she has lots of food offered to her (which is hard for me as I'm very disorganised and it's easy to just offer bf rather than preparing food if she's hungry!)

aviatrix Fri 14-Jan-11 22:45:52

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now