Talk

Advanced search

Grapes. Cut them in half?

(10 Posts)
Albrecht Mon 10-Jan-11 15:01:02

Is that right - can't remember where I read how to serve them properly.

MrsGangly Mon 10-Jan-11 15:04:54

Yes, cut them in half along their length. I've heard of too many little children choking on grapes.

ariane5 Mon 10-Jan-11 15:07:45

oh dear im so paranoid about choking that i cut one grape up into 8 pieces for my 13m old,4 pieces for my 4 year old and in half for my 9 yr old, iam probably being far too over protective but choking is a terrible fear for me

MadamDeathstare Mon 10-Jan-11 15:09:17

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Albrecht Mon 10-Jan-11 15:15:28

I was thinking of doing into 4 but ds is only 6 months and 1 week so probably wouldn't be able to pick that up.

Sausages also have to have the skin taken off, to begin with. (obviously I will be making mine from scratch - including slaughtering the pig myself as this is my pfb...)

TotorosOcarina Mon 10-Jan-11 15:16:22

My daughter is 2 and I still cut her grapes up blush

MakeAnotherCuppa Mon 10-Jan-11 15:25:34

my mum is a nursery nurse and the first aid course she went on (or Health & safety) said to cut in half (length) until 5yrs old

my DD is 3 and i still cut hers

Mummy2Bookie Mon 10-Jan-11 17:04:16

I cut grapes into fours for dd

TruthSweet Mon 10-Jan-11 21:36:50

I have never cut up grapes right from when my 3 first had them (6-7 months when they had the dexterity to pick them up). They have never choked on a grape yet a toddler (about 2 y/o) in a baby group I went to helped himself to a grape off the stalk (like mine were) and choked on it. I had to whip him on to my lap and slap his back, then fish out the grape (he'd swallowed it without chewing it) - his mum was in the loo at the time so not negligent. He'd never had an uncut grape so didn't know to crush it with his teeth before swallowing.

I didn't realise you were supposed to cut grapes until they were 5! I'm in trouble wink my eldest isn't even 5 yet....

crisptart Thu 13-Jan-11 20:31:57

I always cut grapes, I still cut them for my 3 and a half year old!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: