Talk

Advanced search

BLW - how do babies eat soft foods?!

(22 Posts)
HollyFP Fri 07-Jan-11 14:06:29

I'm just starting my nearly 6 mo DD on proper food for the first time. We've tried banana a few times this week and today I tried avocado, but she finds both of these really difficult to handle as they're so squishy - they just slip out of her hand. She then gets very frustrated, she obviously wants to eat it!

What do people do to help them eat foods like this?

Mummy2Bookie Fri 07-Jan-11 14:33:03

Maybe she needs something firmer ie strips of carrot?
Or maybe you could give her softer foods like banana from a spoon until she's more confident?

haggis01 Fri 07-Jan-11 14:33:08

I used to mush some of them up and feed her off a baby spoon so that her hunger would be assuaged and then let her "play" with the rest of it and leave her the spoon too if she wanted. Children will build up skills in good time. Best not to get stressed and just take it slowly.

MoonUnitAlpha Fri 07-Jan-11 14:33:44

I have mashed avocado and banana and ds has eaten them off a spoon - they're quite good at sticking to the spoon so he can get it into his mouth before it slides off! Obviously I load the spoon for him.

I've also seen recommended you half peel the banana and trim the skin, so there's a handhold for them.

MoonUnitAlpha Fri 07-Jan-11 14:34:56

I've also found roast parsnips and carrots, and broccoli have been the easiest for him to handle so far (just started this week).

RJandA Fri 07-Jan-11 14:55:59

I used to mash banana and avacado straight onto the highchair tray, she got great big sloppy handfuls into her mouth no problem.

applejelly Fri 07-Jan-11 15:20:53

Yesterday I spread mashed banana onto strips of toast so DS got 2 in 1!

Woodlands Fri 07-Jan-11 16:09:16

i have found the same nd have spoonfed them both so far. today i spread mashed avocado on a rice cake and that worked well.

ProfessorLaytonIsMyLoveSlave Fri 07-Jan-11 16:12:54

In the early days I put mushed banana on rice cakes or toast. They get the hang of holding the banana within a couple of months, though.

HollyFP Fri 07-Jan-11 16:21:02

Thanks for suggestions, banana on toast sounds good. So 6 month babies can have wheat etc then I'm guessing? Will try the loaded spoon idea too.

ProfessorLaytonIsMyLoveSlave Fri 07-Jan-11 16:29:15

If there are no allergy concerns, yes. If you have a reason to avoid gluten then you can try the rice cake option.

HollyFP Fri 07-Jan-11 16:30:40

Thanks Prof, no allergies so will go for toast

muslimah28 Fri 07-Jan-11 16:41:20

if there is a gluten allergy in the family babies can and should be introduced to wheat based foods from 6 months. Check the coeliac society webpage for more on this (on ph so cant link to it myself) they recommend introducing wheat bwn 6 and 7 months and looking for signs of a reaction. Ds' GM has coeliac disease so we followed this advice

Woodlands Fri 07-Jan-11 16:43:15

oh that's interesting, there is some coeliac disease in my family so was wondering about when to introduce gluten (DS is actually only 25 weeks blush, we've only started weaning in the last week or so but he's taken to it like a duck to water)

HollyFP Fri 07-Jan-11 16:52:32

Woodlands my DD is same age...I'm not trying too hard with BLW yet, more sort of seeing her reaction to stuff each day. So far we've only given her banana, courgette and avocado. FUnnily enough she seems to be bf more in the last few days...maybe the new food has in fact increased her appetite? confused

Woodlands Fri 07-Jan-11 17:00:06

I think they are getting used to the different feelings in their tummies, maybe! We have had a couple of terrible nights, up every 2 hours. oh please let it get easier soon...

MoonUnitAlpha Fri 07-Jan-11 17:09:17

There was a paper on weaning from the British Dietetic Association linked to on another thread that suggested gluten should be introduced between 4 and 7 months alongside breastfeeding to reduce the risk of intolerance.

HollyFP Fri 07-Jan-11 18:15:22

Moon even though the WHO and UK guidelines state exclusive bf for the first 6 months? How does that work then? confused

MoonUnitAlpha Fri 07-Jan-11 19:03:59

There's not exactly a consensus on weaning - the WHO/DoH have taken one view on it but that's not to say there are no conflicting opinions!

There's a big study going on at the moment (EAT study) looking into whether introducing solids before 6 months actually reduces allergies.

muslimah28 Fri 07-Jan-11 19:48:01

WHO guidelines are probably y the coeliac society say 6-7m. Im sure they also say since the doh guidelies changed in the last few yrs coeliac rates have fallen.

MoonUnitAlpha Fri 07-Jan-11 19:52:56

When the guidelines were 4-6 months, I expect lots more people weaned before 4 months - and there are definitely risks to weaning that early, from digestive issues to respiratory problems. At least now the guideline is 26 weeks more people wait til at least 17 weeks.

whatsleep Fri 07-Jan-11 21:15:19

i struggled with this to start with until i realised that to begin you should not try and give food to your baby when she is hungry, the idea to begin is that she gets used to handeling the food. if she is not hungry she wont get so frustrated when she cant get it in her mouth!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: