Talk

Advanced search

Fitting supper into a 9mo's diet

(4 Posts)
harverina Tue 04-Jan-11 18:56:08

My dd, 9mo, is currently on 3 meals per day. We do a combination of blw and spoon feeding, which seems to suit us well.
I suspect my dd is going through a growth spurt at the moment. She is breastfeeding more and hoovering her solids! A few nights ago I gave her porridge in the evening as she woke up and just didn't seem satisfied with a breast feed. She devoured it all. So, I have decided to offer a supper every night from now on. I think I will stick with porridge, though any other healthy suggestions would be welcomed. My problem is when to fit the extra meal in. Today we tried bringing lunch and dinner back a bit...so lunch at 11.45am and dinner at 4.45pm. She then had porridge after her bath at 6.15pm. I then breastfed her. She has not taken as much milk as usual but does seem more settled. Is this Ok? My dd feeds roughly 5 times per day.
Anyone have any insight into this?
Your opinions will be appreciated!
Thanks

harverina Tue 04-Jan-11 19:20:39

As an aside, my DD is allergic to milk and eggs.

TheSugarPlumFairy Tue 04-Jan-11 22:09:26

DD is 8.5 months and has 4 meals a day. We also do a combination of purees and finger foods. She is FF and takes 3 bottles a day. Her eating/drinking schedule is as follows:

7.30 - 8oz milk
8.30 - breakfast - weetabix made with formula
11.30 - lunch (150g main meal plus 100g pudding)
2.30pm - 8oz milk
3.00pm - afternoon tea (100g meal plus fruit pot)
6.30pm - dinner (150g meal plus fruit pot or yougurt
7.30 - 8oz bottle

to a certain extent we have had this eating schedule foisted upon us by nursery as DD attends 4 days a week. DD was skipping the afternoon tea meal and just having milk at 3pm until about 3 weeks ago when it became clear that milk was just not cutting it for her any more. Her main meals are usually protein based - shepherds pie, chicken stew, fish pie etc. Puddings are either yoghurt or fruit purees. At nursery they some time give cookies for pudding in the afternoon as a treat.

I think it is natural that they start replacing milk feeds with solids as they get older.

harverina Tue 04-Jan-11 22:12:13

Thanks ThesugarPlumFairy. Hadn't thought of afternoon tea, what a great idea!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now