Talk

Advanced search

Baby snacks to adult(ish) snacks

(5 Posts)
HappySkiingGardeningNewYear Thu 30-Dec-10 11:10:46

DS is mostly BLW and loves his food, which is great, but he is getting bored of baby biscuits and rice cakes as snacks. Anyone got ideas for other snack type foods for out and about? Fruit is too messy on the move so it needs to be things he can eat (reasonably) tidily.

Also, are things like malted milk biscuits and so on ok or do I have to stay with expensive baby versions?

Adair Thu 30-Dec-10 11:18:31

It is really up to you. Second borns usually start on 'adult' snacks far earlier!

The things you (might) want to look out for are
-salt content
-sugar content
-preservatives/vs natural ingredients.

I tend to buy adult things and look at the labels. Eg Sainsbury's do a rice cake that is free from salt and sugar - whereas Heinz rusks that are meant to be for babies have loads of sugar! I also buy salt n shake crisps and give them without the salt (just potatoes and oil). Biscuits do contain a lot of salt and sugar (though I still give them). As do breadsticks (ditto).

My ideal aim (though I in no way keep to this - !!) would be to only buy items with ingredients I recognise... There is a good government website to help understand labels I think....

HappySkiingGardeningNewYear Thu 30-Dec-10 11:24:17

We've been giving him the HIPP rusks, but they are mostly sugar too. I'll check the labels on some classic kids biscuits (malted milks, garibaldi's) and see how they compare.

Mini breadsticks are also a good idea, as long as they aren't stuffed with salt I suppose. Why do all snack type foods have so much darn salt in them!

Mummy2Bookie Wed 05-Jan-11 07:53:38

We used to give dd ellas kitchen biscuits but they stick to the teeth, so dd doesn't have biscuits any more.why not try mini sandwiches or breadsticks?

mamaloco Wed 05-Jan-11 08:13:50

both my DDs love carrot, cucumber, pepper, apple,... if you avoid anything too juicy it is not messy

small sandwiches, breadsticks and biscuits are more messy due to high crumbs production grin and the fact that DD2 (11months) still likes to spit and look what she eats hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now