Talk

Advanced search

Anyone with a baby allergic to milk?

(5 Posts)
cherrysodalover Mon 27-Dec-10 18:06:00

Hi

So we have just found out our 12 month son is severely allergic to milk and egg white( he had a bad reaction to cheese at 7 months and now it has been confirmed via blood tests).Apparently he was off the scale that they use.

I am being referred to an allergist and a nutritionist but in the mean time is anyone out here in this boat- I know it is a reasonably common allergy.

Any tips and advice will be welcomed

organiccarrotcake Mon 27-Dec-10 18:20:26

There's an allergy section which may help you:

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/allergies

I was referred to a consultant dietician and mine is only dairy intolerant, not allergic, so you shouldn't have a problem getting lots of medical support

cherrysodalover Tue 28-Dec-10 01:57:42

Thanks organiccarrotcake- I will check that out.

I am guessing it is a pretty common one-I feel sad for him he may never get ice cream though...I know that is a trite thing but that is the first thing I thought of.

cherrysodalover Tue 28-Dec-10 02:10:14

Thanks p. pervert-will have to find the local equivalent of h and B ; gosh I did not think of course anything we cook for us will have to be milk and cheese free if we want him to eat it.

I could not work out how to message you back- a little red hand blocked me.

harverina Tue 04-Jan-11 17:11:32

Hi cherry, my dd is allergic to milk and egg. We found out at exactly 6 months when she had yogurt for the first time. We were seen by a consultant and dietician within a week, so very lucky. Are you breastfeeding?
To make sauces that would normally be milk based, I use oatly milk. Dont use it very often though as don't cook alot of sauces. My dd has porridge made with water for breakfast which she loves. Its not really too hard to avoid milk in the home...i have switched to alpro milk myself and we use vitalite dairy free spread instead of butter. Harder to avoid in social situations, like toddler groups etc. Have you been given piriton to carry with you?
Sainsburys do a dairy free ice cream which my dd had on xmas day for a treat. Its lovely and not full of rubbish either. You can also buy dairy free choc buttons etc for treats, although we try to cut out refined sugar anyway, but good for a treat. I'm on my phone just now but if I can think of anything else I will post later.
P.s is you dc allergic to Soya too?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: