Talk

Advanced search

Rusks - are they evil or not?

(11 Posts)
monkeyjamtart Thu 23-Dec-10 00:04:38

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BertieBottlesOfMulledWine Thu 23-Dec-10 00:07:26

They really are full of sugar, I wouldn't bother. Lots of people buy them though - it's a nostalgic thing I guess or advice from mums and grandmothers? Could be a class thing? Don't flame me but some WC people I know tended to use rusks as a first food rather than baby rice (unheard of in MC circles)

Also they are yum. I like them!

Actually I gave one to DS once and it was so messy I decided it really wasn't worth it wink and ate the box myself!

Teela Thu 23-Dec-10 00:09:17

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Seona1973 Thu 23-Dec-10 12:41:26

I bought them for dd but when I tasted them myself they were so sugary and sweet that I decided I wouldnt feed them to her. They were too sweet for me too so they got binned. The normal ones are 30% sugar and the reduced sugar ones are 20% sugar. We gave a digestive or a rich tea biscuit instead.

Hulababy Thu 23-Dec-10 12:45:17

They are just biscuits, so not evil, but prob not ideal either.

However, for adults - yum! grin

theboobmeister Mon 27-Dec-10 20:09:31

People buy them because there are still all these weird urban myths about babies and food doing the rounds. Like, 'babies will only eat really sweet and/or bland food'. Or 'finger food has to be biscuits or bread'.

I do agree that adults find them quite tasty though smile

brockleybelle Wed 29-Dec-10 22:04:26

I bought them for the nostalgia factor for ds1 in 2008, but when I realised the amount of sugar in them I swapped to Organix treats sharpish! However, with dd (7 months old) I've decided to give her the reduced sugar ones because they're fortified with iron. She's breastfed and I'm worried about possibility of iron deficiency, so see it as a trade off until she's properly weaned.

jester68 Thu 30-Dec-10 09:05:58

My daughter has occassionally had one, but not often. She likes them but they are quite sweet.

She probably has a max of one a week. My elder daughter who is nearly 5 ,and my partner like them too lol!

Guacamohohohole Thu 30-Dec-10 09:19:10

I have to admit I let my DS have the odd one... You can buy these little bite size ones in a bag. He likes them, I brush his teeth so I'm not terribly concerned. They crumble away to nothing, Ella's Kitchen cookies and Organix biscuits frighten me due to their lack of crumble.

Oh and incidentally I don't think it's a WC thing (as suggested by a previous poster).

imissmypiercings Fri 07-Jan-11 20:59:22

i bought organic gluten and sugar free ones, my dp got v.excited because he loves rusks, wasn't impressed with these because they arent sweet at all grin
ds loves them either hard (to gum on and make that gloppy paste) or mixed with little fruit puree for pud, good to have in an air tight container for when we go out.

Stangirl Sat 08-Jan-11 06:12:35

Rusks - wouldn't bother with 'em.

Panettone leftover from Xmas - 10month DD can't get enough of it.

That's just my personal preference though.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: