Talk

Advanced search

8mo choking and vomitting on any lumps, what should I do?

(8 Posts)
Tartyshoes Mon 20-Dec-10 10:01:13

My 8mo Ds has been happily eating puree since 6months. He will have up to 3 meals a day and will eat snaacks like the Goodies carrot sticks and sweetcorn rings. However, I have tried to introduce more lumpy food both home made and jars. He takes the first mouth full and looks like he is 'chewing' but when he swallows he begins to cough and then throws everything up, sometimes very spectacularly!

He takes puree well and is fine in himself, what should I do? Should I carry on with the puree and just wait or persevere with the lumps?

LadyBiscuit Mon 20-Dec-10 10:05:28

I think it's a bit confusing for babies when there are lumps in things that have previously been smooth. I'd give him soldiers of toast and bits of pitta bread, pizza so that he gets used to foods being harder being a bigger part of his diet.

Having said that I did BLW so gave hard food from the outset

lauzjp Sat 08-Jan-11 11:08:45

My almost 8mo was until very recently choking on lumps (weaning from 4 months), so we did puree again for a couple of days - then tried quite a lumpy stage 2 boots jar, and he was fine with it!

I try a bit of blw too though, as he has always had food envy from about 3 months - so now he loves that he can share Mummy's dinner

SkipToTheEnd Sat 08-Jan-11 11:24:57

My nephew was exactly the same as this. SIL just stuck with the purées and tried again in a few days. She also started giving him a lot more finger foods too.

8 months is still young so don't worry - DN eats fantastically now and will eat anything he can get his hands on - I think some babies are just slower then others to get to grips with it all but if you don't treat it as an issue it shouldn't become one. He is eating something and that's the main thing

TheSugarPlumFairy Sat 08-Jan-11 16:39:52

i dont know why this works but try adding a little extra liquid to the food he is eating.

The "looser" the sauce the lumps are in, the easier it seems to eat them. We tried this on a couple of different babies in our NCT group and it seemed to do the trick.

sheepgomeep Tue 11-Jan-11 00:28:08

This is exactly what my 8 month old dd is like! Even down to the choking and vomiting

sheepgomeep Tue 11-Jan-11 00:30:53

I tell you what I did do the other day. I put some very soft pieces of broccoli, peas, and sweetcorn on her high chair and let my dd pick them up and try them herself, she ate some and didn't heave and she lovesd toast too

lauzjp Thu 13-Jan-11 05:32:18

SugarPlumFairy - it sounds like a good idea, but my poor baba has got another tooth cutting at the bottom (none at the top yet, 3 at the bottom now!) so every time he opens his little mouth - dribble errupts like a fountain! The lumps sometimes get just stuck in his mouth & all the liquid dribbles back out, lol.

So yesterday we had an Ella's kitchen pouch for lunch & one for tea, plus some of Mummy's dinner of slow cooked beef stew.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: