Talk

Advanced search

Screaming between every mouthful

(9 Posts)
ScarlettCrossbones Fri 17-Dec-10 16:52:45

I have a 7.5mo DS who's been on solids for 6 weeks or so. He likes everything I've given him so far but a large part of the time, he will scream just after he's swallowed a mouthful, as if I can't get the next spoonful into him fast enough. While he's actually eating it's fine, but many mealtimes are just a cacophony of screaming right the way through, which is very stressful! Could it be some kind of reflux? He was EBF until now and, although very possetty/bringing bits of milk up, he never actually had reflux proper, so I'd be surprised if he'd started to get it now ...

He's got no other problems and is happy holding fingers of bread etc – he doesn't scream when he's eating those!

Just wondering if it's just a small phase, and he thinks he has to scream to get another mouthful so it's become habit maybe? Has anyone's DC had similar? Thanks!

reikizen Fri 17-Dec-10 17:00:11

there is nothing wrong with your child. He doesn't have reflux for goodness sake! (Sorry that sounds awful!) He is just 7 months old, they like to make noise! Who knows why? Welcome to a lifetime of bloody din if my 2 are anything to go by!

ScarlettCrossbones Fri 17-Dec-10 17:14:31

That was a wee bit uncalled for, reikizen. I am one of the least paranoid, un-helicopter-ish mums you could meet and he is my third child – no PFB going on here. He's not making loud happy noises for the hell of it, he seems in pain and distressed. Maybe I didn't make that clear enough.

All three of mine have been possetty right the way through their first year (well, DS2 is till now) and I have never gone screaming "REFLUX!" as many people I know seem to like putting labels on minor symptoms. I'm not one of those – I just wondered if it was a possibility.

BoysAreLikeDogs Sat 18-Dec-10 12:21:08

I wonder if he would do better feeding himself, as you say he is not screaming when he eats a bit of bread he's holding

worth a go?

Lulumaam Sat 18-Dec-10 12:27:54

are you giving milk before food, so the edge is off his appetite first?

and maybe give him finger food to play with and hold while you get the spoons of food to him.?

BoysAreLikeDogs Sat 18-Dec-10 13:13:01

oh yes, Lulu, wrt milk before food, I'd forgotten that

beachavendrea Sat 18-Dec-10 19:03:22

mine does the same and he is 7.5 months! sometimes we even have tears in between mouth fulls, almost like I am hurting him. It's weird. for me it's better if I give him something. to play with when I feed him like a car or today a box. I figure he may get a bored at mealtimes. Although finger food makes more sense, I'll try that next time.

Minshu Thu 23-Dec-10 22:08:21

Give him a spoon to "feed himself" at the same time? That (or finger foods) worked with my DD, even when that young - not that she really got any food by herself for months...

theboobmeister Mon 27-Dec-10 20:05:39

I second the idea of letting him feed himself! I would get bloody frustrated if someone was trying to feed me. It doesn't come at the speed you want, you're never sure where the food is going to end up in your mouth, etc ... and at 7.5 months they can do a really efficient job at getting it into their own gobs.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now