Talk

Advanced search

GTalk to me about constipation

(7 Posts)
HelenLG Mon 13-Dec-10 15:30:49

Not sure where to post this, so will be popping it in weaning as wel.

DS has been having a few spoonfuls of fruit or veg once a day, with a few sips of water, for a couple of weeks now. The first week he was ok, pooed every 3 days or so but hasn't pooed for nearly a week now.

He's breastfeed as well, and I know if he was just breastfeed it wouldn't be something to be concerned about.

He doesn't seem to be straining, but just seems a bit uncomfortable. I can't tell if he's constipated or if he's just frustrated at not being able to move more. He wants to climb all over me and roll about whilest constantly making noise.

If he was constipated, he would straining and properly crying all the time wouldn't he?

Can someone pls share their experience of a constipated baby??

JiltedJohnsJulie Mon 13-Dec-10 15:34:02

Helen, how old is your DS? Just asking as my DD had this at about 4 months. Also, what fruit and veg are you giving him as bananas can have this effect.

DD didn't strain and appeared quite comfortable. Like you I think they would be straining and crying if constipated.

Have you thought of trying BLW for a bit to see if that solves the problem?

HelenLG Mon 13-Dec-10 15:41:07

He's 5 months now, we started at 20 weeks as he seemed ready.

He was having a mix of things: -

Yesterday - Prunes and stewed pear
Sat - Butternut squash, courgette, brocolli
Fri - Stew apple with a little baby rice and EBM
Thurs - Swede
Wed - Parsnip
Tues - Banana and baby porridge

Tuesday was the last day he pooed.

I wanted to do BLW as he was trying to steal bits of food, but worried about him choking. He's happy to open his mouth and chew when being spoonfeed though

JiltedJohnsJulie Mon 13-Dec-10 16:25:45

Have you tried leaving him on his changing mat without a nappy so that he can have a good old kick. Massaging his tummy and a warm bath may work.

If it was me I'd be tempted to leave the weaning for a few days and just bf him.

HelenLG Mon 13-Dec-10 16:33:18

I haven't given him any solids today, just BF. TBH the prunes were my last attempt and I've decided not to put more in until something comes out.

He's been naked for most of today and had a bath last night and this morning.

I've been rubbing his tummy in clockwise motions and cycling his legs.

I'm beginning to wonder if it's maybe my hypocondria rather than an actual problem...

He keeps farting and doesn't have a hard tummy.

HelenLG Mon 13-Dec-10 19:13:59

YAY!!

He's pooped

JiltedJohnsJulie Wed 15-Dec-10 08:20:38

Glad he's done it eventually smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: