Talk

Advanced search

Throwing food on the floor

(11 Posts)
zebedeethezebra Tue 07-Dec-10 14:48:08

DS is nearly 11 months and practically everything I give as a finger food gets thrown on the floor at the moment. Any tips??

RJandA Tue 07-Dec-10 19:26:37

Just bumping because my DD has just started doing this....

C'mon people!!?

HopeForTheJingleBells Tue 07-Dec-10 19:34:36

Leave it.
Do NOT pick it up.
Do NOT comment on it except maybe to say something like "oh well, there goes that".

Do not, whatever you do, start the whole picking-up thing.
Your dc will delight in this new Mummy-variation of the classic dog "Fetch" game.

<bitter experience>

grin

RJandA Tue 07-Dec-10 20:06:15

Even to the point where they don't get ANYTHING for their tea, cos they've thrown it all on the floor?

zebedeethezebra Wed 08-Dec-10 11:27:17

Jinglebells - when can I pick it up then? Do I have to take him out of the room?

HopeForTheJingleBells Wed 08-Dec-10 12:23:44

OK, can only speak from my experience, but I would be careful not to turn it into a game.
You could perhaps not offer so much at once, so anything that goes on the floor stays on the floor but there is still the option of more food to eat once they realise that what's gone is gone.

If it continues, then the best tip I read was to move dinner and have it picnic style on the floor, put down a blanket/towel whatever, and serve stuff that is easy to eat in that situation ie pasta with tomato sauce = probably not, little sandwiches, sticks of veg etc = yes

TBH we only had a couple of meals where we did the throwing down thing and my immediate reaction was to pick it up. He'd throw something else down. I'd get annoyed.
Ds thought this was hilarious.

But once I stopped doing that, ds got tired of it all pretty quickly.
On those days when he did it, I offered a bigger snack later on, to make up the food.

Good luck!!

Oh, and it helped that we had a dog who v. quickly realised that when ds threw stuff down, if I didn't pick it up she got to eat it - this did not go down well with ds, to see the dog eating HIS food!

superv1xen Wed 08-Dec-10 12:34:01

i had this with dd. i would just not comment when she threw stuff, just ignore it. when it had all gone i would take her out of her high chair. and if i felt she hadnt eaten enough i would give her something else in say an hour or so. so it didnt give her a sense of that if she threw, it would a)become a game or b)the food would get replaced

and now at 18mo she is quite a tidy eater

brokeoven Wed 08-Dec-10 12:37:23

buy cheepo shower curtain, put under the chair.

Give one thing only at a time to hold in hands,

Then hold breath and wait....as with everything, this is a phase and it too will pass.

superv1xen Wed 08-Dec-10 12:41:47

oh yeah agree with putting something on the floor under their highchair. newspaper is good because you can just pick it all up together and chuck it in the bin. i still do that now but i am ocd--

RJandA Wed 08-Dec-10 15:59:23

Already got a shower curtain - we are BLW so it has been essential. Up to now she has dropped quite a bit, of course, but now she definitely does it on purpose... and some meals she drops nearly nothing, so I KNOW she can do it.

So frustrating! But looks like I will just have to grin and bear it grin

belindarose Wed 08-Dec-10 21:52:22

I just rode it out and DD, now 15 mo, eats tidily. I wasn't worried about it being a game ('food is fun...) and now she eats without throwing or dropping. She occasionally drops things if the cat is around, but never anything she really wants to eat. It really was a short, if messy, phase.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: