Talk

Advanced search

Starting food - baby rice with EBF? Any thoughts?

(11 Posts)
Trillian42 Wed 01-Dec-10 15:36:17

I'm going to start weaning this weekend shock & thought I'd start with baby rice? DD is still EBF & I'm toying between baby rice & pureed carrots.

Does anyone have any comments on what's good to start with?

LadyCressida Wed 01-Dec-10 17:20:55

We did 3 days of rice and expressed milk as well as the usual milk feeds, then after that moved on to straight carrots. also pears mixed with the rice (otherwise it is really runny) was good at the start.

she loved it all and had quite a few spoonfuls straight away!

good luck!

EdgarAllenSnow Wed 01-Dec-10 17:25:46

either way, mix it with BM to make the taste more like what they're used to.

that worked really well for me.

also, it looked like the BM pre-digests the food a bit if left to stand (it liquifies) although i don't know for certain that was why..it seemed likely..

LadyViper Wed 01-Dec-10 17:32:20

my ds won't eat baby rice, i'd go for carrots.

Why not give him a stick of carrot to gum at to get used to the taste before the puree?

Trillian42 Wed 01-Dec-10 17:33:18

Did you put pears in the first day LadyCressida? Cooked or not?

I was going to mix it with EBM alright EdgarAllenSnow. She likes putting everything in her mouth so I'm hopeful she'll take to it well

MaElsie Wed 01-Dec-10 20:09:26

I started with baby rice and expressed milk for the first few weeks when baby was 5 months. Then upped the quantity / thickness of the rice. Then added another meal (breakfast rice and milk, lunch puree). Then added in another veggie puree meal. Then swapped rice for baby cereal / mashed banana, then finally weetabix. Voila, three meals a day.

I always thought it was strange though that a baby can have nothing but milk until 6 months and then can eat anything. I think, give their little digestive systems a chance and ease them in very gradually.

LadyCressida Fri 03-Dec-10 13:18:00

Sorry only just saw your question. No not the first day - I think we did rice then carrots then pears a day or two later. Yeah you have to cook them - cut, core and skin them and boil them for a bit then puree.

Good luck!

kaiki Fri 03-Dec-10 21:26:42

hi trillian42, i used a lot of annabel karmel's recipes in the very early stages and like ladycressida said, cooked pear, apple, banana (although this can lead to constipation so very little at first), carrot, or sweet potato are very good first foods especially mixed with baby rice.
have a look here - ((http://www.annabelkarmel.com/recipes/babies-6-9- months))
(sorry, useless with links!)
i was very wary of what to give my baby at the beginning but i started slowly and she will eat anything now which wafts in front of her face. best of luck!

kaiki Fri 03-Dec-10 21:28:54

ha! figured it out
www.annabelkarmel.com/recipes/babies-6-9-months

LadyCressida Sun 05-Dec-10 20:11:34

Yeah we have the Annabel Karmel book and Gina Ford one and I have found them both quite useful as I was also quite daunted by it all at first!

Trillian42 Sun 05-Dec-10 20:58:10

Well we tried the baby rice with expressed milk... none of it stayed in her mouth to be swallowed! She was extremely cute though and made disgusted faces every time, but seemed to love the attention.

She definitely loved being at the table though.

We got the Annabel Karmel book actually in the meantime. Think I might try a carrot puree tomorrow.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: