Talk

Advanced search

help me with a feeding schedule for my 8 month old...

(5 Posts)
missytequila Mon 29-Nov-10 01:05:28

I am not sure how to drop a milk feed and was wondering what everyone else does/have done..

at the moment the day is
7am milk
8am breakfast- porridge and fruit puree
11am milk
1pm nibbles on toast or two bites of what i am eating
3pm milk
5pm dinner- chicken w lentils
7pm milk
11pm milk

ok so this week she has started to only drink 1/2oz at the 11am feed. can I just stop it? but then she wants milk before 3pm and the rest of the afternoon gets kinda thrown
off.

how do you stop milk feeds and how do you know how much they need? at 8,9, 10 months..

Seona1973 Mon 29-Nov-10 08:10:03

a minimum of 20oz is recommended up to 1 year. I would look to cut down and eventually stop the 11pm milk rather than a daytime one. If you did drop the 11am feed then replace with a small snack and a drink of water.

Mull Mon 29-Nov-10 16:21:40

Hi. My 8mo DS has a routine (ish!) of:

7am Milk
8am Breakfast of yoghurt and banana (not always that bothered)
11am Milk
12pm Lunch of a protein type purée then fruit purée
3pm Milk
4.30pm Dinner of a protein type purée then fruit purée
7pm Milk

He is just starting to go through the night without a feed so I'm not going to worry about trying to drop any milk feeds in the day yet. He never consistently has 7oz in one feed so needs at least 4 feeds a day to get his (approx) 21oz anyway.

I think I'll just up his solids slowly and keep offering the milk and see what happens.

Hth

sparkleshine Tue 30-Nov-10 07:33:34

I think my DS was only on 3 bottles a day at 8 mths. At 7am, 2pm, 7pm ( ish)
He really wasn't a hungry baby (still isn't ) so got full too quick.
He dropped the 2pm bottle himself at 9mths, was only taking 2 oz so figured he wasn't hungry. Now at 11mths he has 8-10oz a day if that.

Maybe think about leaving the breakfast 1/2 hr later and bringing lunch forward to 12pm instead of 1pm
I remember that's how I got rid of the 11am feed.

Is she taking lumpy food now? Maybe try some banana as a snack at 10-10.30 if she's hungry.

Then to eventually drop the 3pm milk (10mths I was told by HV hmm ) or when she's ready of course. Wouldn't insist that's what you should do. You know when she's ready. Maybe you could bring dinner forward to 5pm. But she will probably need a snack ( yoghurt, toast, rice cake or fruit etc) between meals.
With the snacks also offer water or very diluted juice in a beaker.

I'm no expert of course but this is just what we did. It's very flexible.
good luck

MaElsie Wed 01-Dec-10 20:18:12

Try dropping either the mid-morning milk and replacing with a snack and drink. Or the 11pm feed. if the baby wakes in the night, give her water in a cup.

With regard to dropping the 11pm feed, I found it helpful for the baby and me to reduce it by a couple of minutes per day. Even if she wakes in the middle of the night, keep persisting, because it can take a while to get used to.

In the daytime, you could reduce it bit by bit if she's interested in milk still. And maybe be a bit flexible, especially to begin with, in the afternoons. Give her a snack in the early afternoon, or a larger lunch. Then milk when she wants it.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: