Talk

Advanced search

Bf AND water?

(12 Posts)
jerryg Sat 27-Nov-10 15:29:35

After telling my husband there's no need to give our 7 moth old water with food as he gets enough liquid from me, I keep reading that people do. So, did I get it xwrong? Do I offer water at mealtimes? I don't think he's dropped any milk feeds... Thanks

Seona1973 Sat 27-Nov-10 16:08:37

I would offer water in a cup - more to get him used to the cup than anything else

virgo1979 Sat 27-Nov-10 20:30:05

I offer water in a cup after things like porridge as there always seems to be a bit in DS's mouth, and it gets him used to the cup.

cece Sat 27-Nov-10 20:36:19

Same as Seona

LadyViper Sat 27-Nov-10 20:47:35

ditto

LadyViper Sat 27-Nov-10 20:49:37

To start with I put apple juice in his water to make it more appealing, but now he is used to the cup he has water.

mollycuddles Sun 28-Nov-10 09:54:32

I do the same as generally the cup gets thrown around and the contents spilled and I'm not doing that with ebm!

Unrulysun Mon 29-Nov-10 10:18:18

I had the same question recently and from NHS information and from my 'medical question' friend (who has a phd in biology and is a bf counsellor - v handy!) was told no she'll get all the fluid she needs from bfs and adjust so she gets more foremilk. Having said that the other responses are about taking a cup so...

jerryg Mon 29-Nov-10 12:23:16

Thanks so much all for your replies. Gave him a cup to get him used to it and he just chewed the spout hmm, so, good to know my milks enough fluid for him Unrulysun!

MaElsie Wed 01-Dec-10 20:21:16

Yes, give water in a cup with solid food. It'll help it go down more easily, get him used to a cup, and provide that bit extra liquid. Or you could give diluted fruit juice with breakfast for example. He probably won't take much at first, but it'll come with time

bsmirched Thu 02-Dec-10 11:01:53

Can I ask a (probably dim) supplementary question? Is that just tap water or should it be boiled and cooled?

Seona1973 Thu 02-Dec-10 11:39:11

from 6 months tap water is fine as a drink

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: