Talk

Advanced search

Sure it's been done before - blw when do they start to eat?

(17 Posts)
happygilmore Sun 21-Nov-10 16:59:03

Not stressing but curious.

Been doing it only a very short while (and barely once a day at that!) but DD doesn't try to put the food in her mouth. I've no problem with that but just wondered how long roughly it takes them to actually try the food?

SofiaAmes Sun 21-Nov-10 17:03:23

Maybe she's not ready. How old is she? I started offering solids (mush really) to mine at 6 months. They were very interested. Though I have to confess that I made all their baby food and added "adult" spices like garlic and rosemary and salt (not a lot) to make it taste good because I figured if I thought it tasted awful (bought baby food) then they might too. Both mine eat everything now.

happygilmore Sun 21-Nov-10 17:15:07

She's 6 months - sitting up and grabbing etc. We're just putting her in the high chair when we're together really, no pressure as far too disorganised really for anything else blush

BikeRunSki Sun 21-Nov-10 17:15:49

I started BLW at 6 months, DS started eating a little straight away.

Carikube Sun 21-Nov-10 17:20:29

DD1 played with what we gave her from 6 months but didn't really start to eat until about 8-9 months.
We've just started with DD2 and she sucked some bread down this morning but I think that was more by accident than design...I'm not expecting her to properly eat anything for a while yet...

happygilmore Sun 21-Nov-10 18:06:19

Guess it's the age old they'll do it when they're ready! We need another BLW experiences thread - I read some of the other one and it was really interesting.

Gave DD some potato wedges and orange today and she surprised us by picking it up and sucking them both a few times, think it too was more by accident than design but first time she's done it.

SofiaAmes Sun 21-Nov-10 18:26:38

Shouldn't give them orange that young, i think. Or maybe that's just if you have allergies in the family.

happygilmore Sun 21-Nov-10 18:28:10

No you can definitely give them anything apart from honey and whole nuts from 6 months, hence why we waited really.

SofiaAmes Sun 21-Nov-10 19:25:41

Happygilmore, you must not have food allergies in your family, because the list of what not to give them before 12 months was MUCH longer than that for us. We were told no eggs or fish or seafood, no kiwi or strawberries, I'm pretty sure orange was on the list (but maybe not..it's been 8 years). And of course no nuts or honey. We also did trials of all new foods one at a time for a few days to make sure that there were no allergies. Just about everyone in my extended family is deathly or seriously allergic to some food or other, so maybe we were given extra cautions that others are not.

happygilmore Sun 21-Nov-10 19:30:41

No we don't have any food allergies, that's probably why you were given stricter guidelines if you have? But if not, you're fine with anything - but obviously need to stop for a bit if something seems to be not tolerated.

No wonder you were careful though considering your family background!

babybouncer Sun 21-Nov-10 21:53:22

DS started eating a bit around 10 months, but only went onto proper meals around 11 months or so - I was starting to worry that it would never happen!

lowrib Sun 21-Nov-10 22:36:24

With BLW the saying is "food for fun until they're one". In practice your DD will most likely start actually eating much earlier than that, but as I understand it, the sentiment is that you shouldn't worry about it until then IYSWIM.

SofiaAmes Mon 22-Nov-10 06:32:23

yes, agree with lowrib...your child's main source of nutrients from 6-12 months will be either the breast milk or formula you are giving him/her and not the "solids" they are eating.

happygilmore Mon 22-Nov-10 19:40:39

Yes, have heard the 'fun til they're one' thing and I know it'll be a long time til she eats properly, just wondering I guess. In any case we're barely managing to try one meal a day just now, so it'll be a while before we're organised enough to do it properly!!

Message withdrawn

Madmartigan Mon 22-Nov-10 19:51:32

We did a mixture of BLW and feeding baby food. Tried not to stress but we were offering him all sorts from about 6 months and he was fairly uninterested in everything but yoghurt. I backed right off for a while it was more bother than it was worth. I can't remember when he got interested, maybe about 7 or 8 months? By his first birthday he was eating pretty much the same as us. He is a great eater (normally) now, very little fuss.

blueberryboybait Mon 22-Nov-10 19:55:16

DD2 is now 6 months and is eating and swallowing quite a bit already, she helped herself to spag bol from DD1's plate, a slice of homemade pizza, any fruit or veg we have eaten. She gets furious if anyone is eating and she can't have any. We are not organised about it at all, if she can steal it when she is on my lap she can eat it otherwise I sit her in the highchair when DD1 eats and has a bit of whatever DD1 is eating, mostly the veg.

DD1 was a totally different she played with her food for 2 or 3 weeks picking it up and licking it and occasionally sucking it. slowly she learnt to chew and was all go from there. She will eat absolutely anything you put in front of her.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now