Talk

Advanced search

Cups to train toddler to drink from real cup

(8 Posts)
Bloxy Sat 13-Nov-10 21:26:21

What sort of cup would anyone recommend to get my DS to drink from a cup without a lid? He is just 2 and still using the TT beakers with lids on and I wanted him to learn to drink from a real cup but at the moment he just keeps tipping the water on the table....

Am I right in thinking that prolonged use of a spout will affect his speech/give him a lisp?

purepurple Sat 13-Nov-10 21:30:46

Just use a lidded cup with 2 handles but take the lid off. Just give him a little bit in the cup, and yes he will spill it at first. But you just have to keep on until he gets it. Maybe just start at one meal time.

pud1 Sat 13-Nov-10 21:33:39

i used a doidy cup. my hv gave it to me. it has two handles but is angled so they cant tip it too quickly. think john lewis sells them

Montifer Sat 13-Nov-10 21:34:40

DS drank from a Doidy cup, I think from about 12 months old.

Far fewer spills than with his TT.

IsItMeOr Sat 13-Nov-10 21:37:43

My experience so far has been that the main thing is not to mind a bit of a puddle.

20mo DS has fun practising drinking from those one handled melamine cups you can get, also little plastic "glasses" from IKEA. He also loves a straw (we hold the glass) and I've got him one of those SIGG bottles for when we're out and about.

He still uses the TT cups most of the time.

Not sure I would bother with a doidy cup at this stage personally, although we have one, I don't use it.

IsItMeOr Sat 13-Nov-10 21:38:28

Really Montifer? DS always uses his doidy as a finger bowl...

Montifer Sat 13-Nov-10 21:41:23

to be fair he does (and always has) loved his food and drink so is unlikely to risk wasting a drop, think it was just the angle of the Doidy which helped him not to spill smile

winnybella Sat 13-Nov-10 21:41:53

DD has been using regular plastic cup (without handles) since 12 mo. Sure, she spilled in the beginning, but now at 21 mo drinks out of cup with no problem at all.

Your ds will get a hang of it in no time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now