Talk

Advanced search

Are some babies just not ready for weaning at 6months?

(5 Posts)
Househunter Tue 09-Nov-10 10:05:06

My 27 week old baby is totally not interested in food. She won't open her mouth for a spoon and if I do manage to sneak some food in she spits it straight out. She will pick up bread/rice cakes/fruit and vegetable pieces, and sometimes these go near her mouth but none gets swallowed.

I don't know whether we can just leave it for a few days/weeks or whether she will become deficient in nutrients if she doesn't start eating soon. She is efb and is resisting all attempts to get her to take a bottle.

Thanks for any advice...

Preggersplayspop Tue 09-Nov-10 10:11:22

Looking back, I don't think my ds1 was ready at 6 months and I stressed so much about it. I just kept up the bf and kept trying him with foods and he eventually got it. He was well over a year though before he was eating much in terms of quantities. He has always been a big strapping lad though and now he is 3 he has a good appetite. I don't think he had any issues in terms of nutrients. He does have atopic eczema tho and I sometimes wonder whether his body was in some way trying to protect itself by not accepting solids until he was 'ready'. Dunno if there is anything in this.

Ds2 took to solids immediately, will try anything, drink from bottle. So different.

Key is to try not to stress about it and try to ignore quantities going in, just keep trying different foods and keep offering the bf as well.

jemjabella Tue 09-Nov-10 15:27:51

Totally fine. Just keep offering every few days

iwouldgoouttonight Tue 09-Nov-10 15:40:33

I worried about this too when my DD was six months - she completely refused anything on a spoon and didn't seen keen on finger foods either - normally licked them and spat them out.

I just put little pieces of food on her tray each day when we were eating and eventually she started to try them.

I think as long as your DD is feeding ok on milk and putting on weight you don't need to worry.

My DD is now 18 months and eats for Britain!

Househunter Tue 09-Nov-10 18:00:39

Thanks, all smile I will try to chill out and might leave it for a few days. She just gets so upset when I offer food so maybe she is teething...

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: