Talk

Advanced search

anyone else out there with a teeny weeny 6mo who peeks out from the highchair?

(10 Posts)
muslimah28 Mon 08-Nov-10 18:15:32

smile

my ds had slow weight gain (though he was not a tiny baby! and has just had a 2 month long massive growth spurt so is catching up- so not worried). i put him in the highchair for the first time this morning (we'd been using the bumbo before) and the poor little mite is too short to reach the tray! well he can but he has to reach up and over so it's a bit difficult.

i'm doing a combination of blw and purees, haven't decided which way we're going yet though the blw is definitely lots of fun! but for the finger foods he needs to reach the tray! anyone else had this experience? there just doesn't seem to be enough room to put a cushion underneath him. could i just put some folded sheets underneath? any other ideas?

i've got a toys r us dinky dino chair btw, it was a present.

thanks!

curlyLJ Mon 08-Nov-10 18:19:38

My DD was smiliar, she is quite a petite little thing and she couldn't reach a thing in the highchair that my SIL gave us.

I bought an Antilop from Ikea (about 15quid) and they also sell and inflatable cushion thing that surrounds the child and helps them sit up/forward. This suits so much better and DD loves it.

We may go back to the other chair when she is older/bigger, but for now, it works.

You could just have a look at the inflatable cushion as it may help bring him forwards to the tray. I just use a small towel to push her forward that bit more, I guess you could do the same under his bum to lift him a bit?

stressheaderic Mon 08-Nov-10 18:19:51

My DD was a diddy little thng too, only around 13lb at 6 months - we continued using her bouncey chair for feeding for 2 more months!
She's almost 9 months now and can see over the tray a bit better. Ours is a Chicco spotty chair and the tray is stupidly massive. My mum has the good old Ikea antilop chair though and she's much more comfortable in that, def worth getting one, they're only about £12.

RJandA Mon 08-Nov-10 19:32:37

We have the Ikea one too, I put a folded up towel underneath and behind her, seemed to work fine.

Horton Mon 08-Nov-10 20:31:20

DD was titchy, too. I just sat her on my knee or in her bouncy chair for meal times.

belindarose Tue 09-Nov-10 09:50:08

My tiny DD sat in her bumbo with tray for months. Went into Tripp Trapp around 11 months I think.

fairimum Tue 09-Nov-10 10:13:08

The ikea one was fab for very dinky DD, still fits in it at 2.5years if needed!

VeronicaCake Tue 09-Nov-10 14:52:14

My 6m old DD is tiny too, we have a Kiddicare pasta highchair which is nice and easy to clean but DD can barely see over it! DH found an old camping mat in the loft and cut out several seat shaped chunks from it, I think it took 5-6 layers. We've glued them together (only needs PVA) and the plan is to just tear off a layer every few weeks as she gets bigger.

We don't have a car which made getting hold of one of the IKEA chairs too much hassle, but everyone I know who has one says they are great too.

muslimah28 Tue 09-Nov-10 15:14:47

am reluctant to buy a new high chair even thoug the ikea one looks great and is cheap, as the house is already too full of baby things!! But i really like veronicacake's camping mat idea, brilliant! Im sure we've got an old one somewhere

eldritch Fri 12-Nov-10 16:12:32

Can you not just carry on using the bumbo until she's big enough for the high chair? You can get clip-on trays for them so it's pretty much like a high chair (we used to put DS' bumbo on the dining table - he loved lording it over his staff dining companions grin )

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now