Talk

Advanced search

9.5 month old stopped eating solids?

(13 Posts)
sdotg Sun 07-Nov-10 09:01:38

I suspect this might be a development thing but wanted to get some opinions.
Pretty sure it's not teeth, ds has 8 already and is getting teeth at same timescales his father did apparently.
We manage breakfast (porridge) and any finger food but refuse any spoon fed meals at other times, be it from a packet, homemade, from my plate etc etc.
Not yet crawling or cruising properly but close so I shouldn't be worried as he's still on his milk but such a grumpy miserable thing that is unlike him cos I figure cos he's so hungry.
Sleep has also gone to pot, not that it was great to start with but the 4:30am starts are more tiresome with the days of grizzling.
Been a few days now, no sign of illness, any thoughts appreciated
Thanks
S

mopsera Sun 07-Nov-10 10:12:06

having similar ; could be iron deficiency as causes sim symptoms; im looking into this as its crucial they get iron at this age; ask health visitor?

colditz Sun 07-Nov-10 10:13:55

he wants to feed himself. If he refuses spoonfeeding, but not fingerfood, he's being as clear as he can be that he prefers to feed himself.

colditz Sun 07-Nov-10 10:14:27

Refusing to be spoonfed is not a symptom of iron deficiency.

colditz Sun 07-Nov-10 10:15:52

he's waking early because he's hungry, I agree.

you can make omelettes with cheese for them at this age, cut it into strips and let them get on with it. It makes a good dinner with some banana for pudding.

sdotg Sun 07-Nov-10 11:19:19

Thanks. Wondering if he would actually do whole meal of finger food so will try the omelette later.
Suspect my idea of finger food is rice cakes, breadsticks and apple slices is not really adequate meal.
S

colditz Sun 07-Nov-10 11:33:49

EVERYTHING can be fingerfood if you have a wet flannel.wink

Ds2 was using a small fork at his age, perhaps he'd like to try that?

colditz Sun 07-Nov-10 11:34:52

Strips of chicken, vegetables, chunks of steamed potato, pasta twirls with sauce, grated cheese, flakes of fish, scrambled agg - all is finger food.

sdotg Sun 07-Nov-10 19:17:42

Gah contrary boy, ate packet fish thing in pub at lunchtime and refused everything at dinner, finger food or not.
Has been a right noughty grizzler all day, most trying
Alas I dont think our dexterity is good enough for forks, spoons don't make it into our mouth but worth remembering for later.
Thanks
S

mopsera Mon 08-Nov-10 08:14:18

have realised this from watching babe eat too; she wants to play with food, so am going to FF too; apple and banana; think its just thier stage ;want more control; am going to try FF and see how she gets on .just bit worried about choking

mopsera Mon 08-Nov-10 08:14:54

...well and other foods too!

colditz Mon 08-Nov-10 14:40:23

forks are much much easier than spoons, you only have to stab the food, you don't have to guide it to your mouth without it flling off.

Try it, you might be surprised! (ANd no, he won't stab himself wink

sdotg Wed 10-Nov-10 18:48:21

Back to certain packet foods, nothing homemade and much fingerfooding. Alas we just chewed the fork, will persevere with the self feeding but thanks all
S

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: