Talk

Advanced search

Please tell me your experiences?

(12 Posts)
Horsedogbird Sun 15-Apr-18 14:42:44

Do you volunteer? Have you volunteered? What do you do/did you do?
I'm a SAHM and want to do more. My little ones will be back at school and preschool soon. I have volunteered in childcare and helped an elderly lady so far.

Glowbug59 Sun 15-Apr-18 14:46:30

I volunteer as administrator for a charity, one or two days a week. My youngest starts school in Sept so will rethink getting a paid role then, but I do love not having to sort childcare out in the school hols!

Horsedogbird Sun 15-Apr-18 14:58:13

Glowing thanks for replying. That sounds ideal. I have admin experience too I just can't commit to a paid job right now due to having small children and limited childcare.

Glowbug59 Mon 16-Apr-18 11:00:37

It’s been good for me, it’s something outside of the school pta stuff and helps keep my confidence up. I was looking at opportunities on the do it.org website but found this by word of mouth. Good luck smile

FadedRed Mon 16-Apr-18 11:07:03

Have a look at the British Red Cross website - they have lots of different types of volunteer roles and are excellent in their support of volunteers.
Also, have you thought about your local libraries and museums services? Locally ours have many and varied volunteering roles.

Horsedogbird Tue 17-Apr-18 13:00:31

Does anyone work in a charity shop?

gettingtherequickly Tue 17-Apr-18 13:03:57

I walk dogs for the greyhound trust, really rewarding work. smile

Horsedogbird Thu 19-Apr-18 18:56:05

I definitely need something.

Dvg Thu 19-Apr-18 18:59:59

I once volunteered at dogs trust, was so rewarding seeing there little happy faces!

Defender90 Thu 19-Apr-18 19:41:14

I volunteer for a spaniel Rescue.

I do phone calls to adoption applicants, arrange and do home visits and transport dogs.

Started as a volunteer, became an area coordinator and now I am also on the committee.

Volunteering is very rewarding.

Horsedogbird Sat 21-Apr-18 11:15:51

Lovely to hear everyone's happy experience's smile

chuggabo Sat 21-Apr-18 11:26:42

I volunteer for Home Start to befriend parents who need a little help. I do home visits to families with at least one under five and provide a friendly listening ear and aim to build their confidence in order to support their parenting. The parents I see are sometimes in difficult situations such as unstable relationships, mental health issues, wider family interference, as well as disability and bone crushing poverty. I never want to pry, but rather offer somewhere they can share their problems with and help them to help themselves.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: