Talk

Advanced search

Which charity to switch my oxfam donation to?

(47 Posts)
chocolatecheesecake Mon 12-Feb-18 17:20:14

I have donated a small amount monthly to oxfam for years. The Haiti incident is making me rethink this. Does anyone have any suggestions for a different charity? Keen on developing country female education/ empowerment, also health

GlitterGlue Mon 12-Feb-18 17:36:20

Are there any charities which support provision of loos and sanitary products? Often the first step in being able to access education.

EatSleepRantRepeat Mon 12-Feb-18 17:43:05

I know ActionAid is always advertising that they help women and girls first in emergencies, and provide sanitary products - I spend a lot of time is service stations and they advertise in the loos! blush

Otherwise I find my direct debit to the trussell trust (food banks) very rewarding - I get email updates but no begging letters or phone calls asking for more money. I stopped my donations to Crisis because they were spending my pounds a month on call centres pestering me for more.

RunningHurts Mon 12-Feb-18 17:45:33

What’s your problem with Oxfam?
That when an issue with their staff came to light they were appropriately disciplined?

Aethelthryth Mon 12-Feb-18 17:48:51

ww.worldchildcancer.org.uk

endofthelinefinally Mon 12-Feb-18 17:51:02

I am just listening to Iain Dale on LBC.
Oxfam being discussed atm.

clarrylove Mon 12-Feb-18 17:54:18

Look up 'toilet twinning'. We have fone this at work.
Also Water Aid is a fabulous charity. I am told they take very little for the admin of the organisation.

Screaminginsideme Mon 12-Feb-18 17:54:42

A local small one. Local hospice, women refuge or something?

spiney Mon 12-Feb-18 17:56:56

What’s your problem with Oxfam?
hmmhmmhmm
Same as everyone else's I suppose....

CAAKE Mon 12-Feb-18 17:58:15

We've switched to giving exclusivity through Givewell. They carry out in depth research into the effectiveness of charities and only endorse a select few.

https://www.givewell.org

Ivebeenaroundtheblock Mon 12-Feb-18 17:58:50

The SPCA, Salvation Army and Red Cross seem well organized.

RippleEffects Mon 12-Feb-18 18:02:46

Wateraid is a big one I like to support.

What about having one of those charity bank accounts where you pay into the account each month and then can make payments to charities as and when you see one that you feel your support would make a difference. Maybe a few smaller more local charities could benefit this way.

I like homestart as an underfunded not very fashionable charity and for personal reasons National Autistic Society - I really like some of their educational efforts at present.

palmfronds Mon 12-Feb-18 18:04:22

Women for Women International - they do some amazing work with women who have undergone unimaginable trauma in countries like Rwanda and Afghanistan, helping them start their own businesses, teaching them about healthcare and their rights etc. Their programmes are proven to be very effective at helping not only individual women but also their entire communities as the women who take part pass on their new skills and knowledge to others. And the organisation tries to recruit from the countries they work in rather than sending Westerners abroad, and is almost entirely staffed by women, so the likelihood of an Oxfam-style scandal is remote to say the least.

I also donate to MSF but the one guy I knew who worked abroad for them was a massive sleaze which does make me wonder...

EmpressOfJurisfiction Mon 12-Feb-18 18:06:42

When I asked Julie Bindel what I could do to help survivors of sex trafficking / prostitution, she said "Donate to SPACE International.

So I do.

sirlee66 Mon 12-Feb-18 18:08:11

We used to donate to cancer research in memory of DH's Mum.

traviata Mon 12-Feb-18 18:10:39

'appropriately disciplined'?

Three of them were permitted to resign and their new employers were not told.

This is nothing but a cover up.

RedCarsGoFaster Mon 12-Feb-18 18:27:48

Look at your local Soroptimist group - they do some cracking work for women.

Or maybe the small loans system - for people, men and women but you get to choose the recipient, to increase or set up small businesses internationally. I'll look for a link, there are several.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Mon 12-Feb-18 18:31:20

I like Practical Action, no idea if they have any skeletons in their closet though

TheVanguardSix Mon 12-Feb-18 18:41:51

UNICEF

Crisis UK

Pancreatic Research

TheVanguardSix Mon 12-Feb-18 18:42:22

Sorry... Pancreatic Cancer research, I meant to write.

RedCarsGoFaster Mon 12-Feb-18 18:48:33

This is one of the micro lending sites I was thinking of - www.lendwithcare.org/search

LindyHopSkipRunner Mon 12-Feb-18 18:51:04

MSF

TravellingFleet Mon 12-Feb-18 18:52:28

Camfed do great work supporting education for girls and women in 5 developing countries in Africa. They take allegations of abuse extremely seriously and I have seen them reported in their annual report.
The rule of thumb in charity work is that if you aren’t getting reports of abuse, the abuse is going unreported.
I’ve taken Oxfam off my donation list (and I am fortunate enough to be a reasonably sizeable donor) and will be looking round for alternatives. I’ve heard good things about Christian Aid.

chocolatecheesecake Mon 12-Feb-18 20:23:37

Thanks so much everyone, there's some great suggestions here which I will look into.

JeNeSuisPasVotreMiel Mon 12-Feb-18 20:26:24

Have a read of this OP, and see if you still think the same way.

www.taxresearch.org.uk/Blog/2018/02/10/what-is-oxfams-real-crime/

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now