Talk

Advanced search

Anyone volunteer for the National Trust? Care to share experiences please.

(3 Posts)
MrsExpo Wed 25-Oct-17 16:52:00

Thanks. I'm thinking of getting involved at a local NT property, but have heard mixed things about the NT in terms of how it treats its volunteers. Would welcome any views or thoughts.

specialsubject Sun 12-Nov-17 21:53:50

I find the paid staff brilliant - everyone says thank you without exception. I work alone, when I come across the other volunteers (all twenty years older than me) the women ignore me. Some of the men will chat. It isnt anything I've said as I've never had a chance.

I really enjoy the role and learn a lot from it and the visitors. The trust pays petrol and 50 hours a year gets you a free access card.

So for me - do it for the role but as a way of making new friends it is a non starter. Hopefully not every property has this issue.

AlexaAmbidextra Sat 11-Aug-18 16:28:43

Well, not me but a friend. She absolutely loves working in a beautiful old house and telling visitors about it. She says the team she works with is great but apparently the NT at organisational levels is subject to mixed views.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: