Talk

Advanced search

Going back to work - did you give up volunteering?

(5 Posts)
rara67 Tue 09-Feb-16 09:51:56

Returning to paid employment after 13 years. My voluntary jobs have helped me get back to work but not sure if I will be over committing if I continue. One of the charities is closing so I have to deal with the paperwork. The other one is just starting and will involve a lot of time on the specific task I have volunteered for. The third is only quarterly meetings but may be on a working day so just couldn't do it. Also, although I have not gone into school regularly I have always been able to help with trips so would still like to do this. I feel that after 10 years volunteering it is now time to focus exclusively on my job and my family. I suppose that has answered my question!

thesandwich Tue 09-Feb-16 09:54:27

Some employers encourage volunteering- maybe for the meetings? Worth checking for your professional development😊. Question is - do you want to? Give yourself margin too.

afromom Tue 09-Feb-16 10:24:18

I wouldn't underestimate how tired you could be going back to work full time.
I was a school governor and working part time until 2 years ago. It worked well. Then I went from part to full time hours and managed to keep the governor thing going for about 6 months until I decided it was best to step away.
I was exhausted trying to keep up with it all, ds hardly saw me and I really wasn't doing a good job of any of it.
I think working and doing 4 different voluntary roles sounds like a lot.
As previously suggested some employers encourage some volunteering, so maybe one or at a push two roles could be supported. All four seems like a lot though.
I say all this as a regional manager for volunteering for a large charity, so I am very pro volunteering, but only if you are able to commit to what is needed and don't sacrifice too much of yourself in the process!

rara67 Thu 11-Feb-16 13:09:22

Thanks for your replies. I think I am going to focus on one or two things that directly impact on my family. One of the roles is just too challenging in terms of attending morning/evening meetings and the only paid employee of the organisation only works a few hours a day so I wouldn't be able to contact them for any support as I will be working 4 mornings. I need to look at this as a whole change for everything I do. 10 years a volunteer, so time for someone else, although from recent experience I know that people are no longer keen or able to step up. DH is also a volunteer and I do want to support his voluntary work, by at least being at home when he finally gets back from one of his many meetings!

thesandwich Thu 11-Feb-16 13:27:31

You are right- priorities shift and you have given a lot. An important idea is margin- with the changes you are making make space and don't over commit. And don't underestimate the time teens need. Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now