Talk

Advanced search

Xbox buying for a dumb parent

(22 Posts)
Danni91 Tue 08-Dec-20 15:45:35

Can anyone explain to me if a new Xbox is coming and the difference is between a S and a X and the no disc console which seems to be pre-order only, leading me to think its new or was recenetly new.

What is the model before that one and are they compatible for game playing like the ps4 vs ps5.

They seem to be alot cheaper than the ps5?

My son has been asking me for an Xbox I'm tempted to buy him one but i cant work the damn shit out and everyone i know have PlayStations.

I absolutely could research it but the valuable half hour I've just spent trying to find priced & names has gone to waste because i dont understand jack shit when it comes to consoles or tech in general tbh.

If anyone can spend 5 mins and break down the obvious (to most!) for me for the xbox console I would be so so grateful thank you!

OP’s posts: |
Worriedandabitscared Tue 08-Dec-20 15:47:37

As far as I'm aware with Xbox the new ones that just came out either have a disc or don't and that's the only difference.

We have a ps5 but Xbox has a really good game pass option, it has a lot of games for something like £20 a month so I'm a bit gutted I got a PlayStation to be honest.

But that's all I know

Possums4evr Tue 08-Dec-20 15:48:21

Xbox one S is an older model, though by my view perfectly good.
Xbox series s has just come out, it doesn't have a disc drive so really works for those using the game pass (monthly subscription fee) or willing to pay only for download games. That's around £250 and out of stock most places.
The Xbox series x is like the one above but does have a disc drive. You will need to sell your first born to get hold of one. It is around £450

Possums4evr Tue 08-Dec-20 15:49:09

The Xbox series x has double the memory of the series s, that is one other difference

Danni91 Tue 08-Dec-20 16:18:01

Ughhh.

He is my first born and aint worth £500 🤣🤣

Context would be 10yr old DS has his dads old PlayStation though never plays it because all his friends play Xbox. Been desperate for an Xbox about 2 years now.

I was thinking of the xbox one (after my OH told me off for saying 360 - apparently its ancient!) on further googling but got distracted by what all these other ones are.

I'm not spending £400+ on anything for a 10 year old I'm just absolutely stuck on what to buy him and I saw on Currys an Xbox £270 and a Xbox S £250 and another one £470!

His list went something like

Ps5 and Xbox and the latest iphone

blushangry

Danni91 Tue 08-Dec-20 16:20:07

I dont understand how a diskless version would ever work ps5 or new Xbox.

Memory would be eaten up in a day surely?

Do you just delete a game to download a new game?

Worriedandabitscared Tue 08-Dec-20 16:22:56

Danni91

I dont understand how a diskless version would ever work ps5 or new Xbox.

Memory would be eaten up in a day surely?

Do you just delete a game to download a new game?

I think they have quite big memories, it's the same with a disc to be fair it like loads onto the console and uses memory so you still need to delete games sometimes as it still eats memory.

If you're getting him an Xbox though (disc less or older version but definitely not 360 grin), the game pass is the way to go.

RolandOnTheRopes Tue 08-Dec-20 17:32:01

Been out for several years:
Xbox One S - standard console
Xbox One X - higher spec console (4k gaming)

The brand new ones, so much much fancier:
Xbox Series S (digital only)
Xbox Series X

For a 10yr old who wants to play games with his friends I'd buy the first one above - Xbox One S

An Microsoft are dumb for the stupid similar naming of their products.

Danni91 Tue 08-Dec-20 19:42:08

😂😂 thank you so much, I'll search the for the game pass and check it all out!

Possums4evr Tue 08-Dec-20 19:44:45

To play with his friends he needs Xbox live (this can be included with the game pass) and a headset with a microphone.
A lot of the game pass games aren't suitable for his age, though a fair few are. And of course, Fortnite is free grin

Danni91 Tue 08-Dec-20 19:46:13

RolandOnTheRopes

Been out for several years:
Xbox One S - standard console
Xbox One X - higher spec console (4k gaming)

The brand new ones, so much much fancier:
Xbox Series S (digital only)
Xbox Series X

For a 10yr old who wants to play games with his friends I'd buy the first one above - Xbox One S

An Microsoft are dumb for the stupid similar naming of their products.

That makes a bit more sense to me thank you!

I dont need him to have the latest fanciest items I just want him to have a good Christmas and a reasonable price tag.

He doesn't have a 4K tele (nor do we blush ) so i think the X box one is the way to go.

Hes a fairly grateful lad I think i worry more of the social acceptance

Hawkins001 Tue 08-Dec-20 19:49:56

Always better to get the disc version especially when you can get cheap games second hand

NotExactlyMrsCurrentAffairs Tue 08-Dec-20 19:51:51

We've bought our DC xbox one s, despite being older model, they are like gold dust, ended up paying £180 for a second hand boxed one with 2 year warranty from cex.

karen215 Wed 16-Dec-20 22:17:52

My son just started screaming at me after losing at something called"fortnite"

ItsIgginningtolookalotlikeXmas Wed 16-Dec-20 22:18:52

Nice try

heidipi Thu 17-Dec-20 13:55:27

Hi - just jumping on the OP's thread to ask for game recommendations for Xbox One S. Glad to read that a game pass is a good option as I took the offer up but have no clue - our 10 yo loves Plants Vs Zombies, any recommendations for something similar to get them started please? I'm having fun setting it up now to save some swearing on xmas day grin Thanks!

Danni91 Thu 17-Dec-20 19:17:07

heidipi

Hi - just jumping on the OP's thread to ask for game recommendations for Xbox One S. Glad to read that a game pass is a good option as I took the offer up but have no clue - our 10 yo loves Plants Vs Zombies, any recommendations for something similar to get them started please? I'm having fun setting it up now to save some swearing on xmas day grin Thanks!

Save the hassle and sell it too me? 😁😁😁😁fgrin

ItsIgginningtolookalotlikeXmas Thu 17-Dec-20 19:21:17

At 10 I would imagine Fortnite would appeal, game is free but if you want cooler outfits you need to buy vbucks

Danni91 Thu 17-Dec-20 19:21:46

NotExactlyMrsCurrentAffairs

We've bought our DC xbox one s, despite being older model, they are like gold dust, ended up paying £180 for a second hand boxed one with 2 year warranty from cex.

I did see this when you posted and meant to reply. My local cex are selling them for £270 boxed which is fucking ridiculous when brand new theyre only an extra 50quid or so.

I'm a week before Christmas & still don't have one! Whoops. I'm thinking of giving him a voucher for one (cash value to Currys etc) and buying the newer one in the new year.

Fucking awkward age, they don't appreciate the value of technology yet are fastly out growing lego/crafts.

FlyingByTheSeatof Thu 17-Dec-20 19:28:14

If his friends have an Xbox then he needs an Xbox to play with them online not a PS.

He will be missing out on all their chat etc during game playing if he's not got one which is why he so desperately wants one.

heidipi Thu 17-Dec-20 19:44:20

@Danni91 no way I'm in too deep now grin. I got it direct from Microsoft a couple of weeks ago and it arrived the next day, it's not the latest version though.

Neither of our 2 has mentioned Fortnite yet, thankfully.

ItsIgginningtolookalotlikeXmas Fri 18-Dec-20 10:20:09

Amazon had some Xbox stock in when I looked earlier, it's worth checking

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in