Talk

Advanced search

How to get games on Xbox s

(7 Posts)
zoomiecraziness Thu 12-Nov-20 19:08:46

Hi, I am not a gamer and have never even used an Xbox before so please talk to me in very basic beginner terminology!

I'm looking at getting a games console for niece and nephew (age 9&7)

The Xbox s... I believe you have to download games? Can you buy individual games? If so where do you do this from? Or do you have to sign up for the monthly payment all access thing which is over £20 a month?

Thank you!

OP’s posts: |
Aquamarine1029 Thu 12-Nov-20 19:13:14

You can buy hard copies of games (discs), or you can buy the digital version right from your Xbox. We have been buying digital versions for years now, and we have a external hard drive for additional storage space. We have the Microsoft Game Pass and it's a great deal. You can play 100's of games with it.

zoomiecraziness Thu 12-Nov-20 19:41:08

Brilliant thanks @Aquamarine1029 grin

safariboot Fri 13-Nov-20 02:33:54

Yes you can buy individual games, either on Microsoft's website or I think through the console itself. To avoid risk of credit card shocks you can use the XBox gift cards to fund the account.

The lineup is a little confusing. Make sure you get the Xbox Series S which is the new one, with the prominent round fan grille on it. Not the "Xbox One S" which is the old one.

zoomiecraziness Fri 13-Nov-20 08:19:34

Thanks @safariboot that's really helpful x

PizzaForOne Mon 16-Nov-20 15:25:40

zoomiecraziness

Hi, I am not a gamer and have never even used an Xbox before so please talk to me in very basic beginner terminology!

I'm looking at getting a games console for niece and nephew (age 9&7)

The Xbox s... I believe you have to download games? Can you buy individual games? If so where do you do this from? Or do you have to sign up for the monthly payment all access thing which is over £20 a month?

Thank you!

So yes you can do 'All Access' for £20.99 per month which includes the console and Gamepass. You will get to keep the console at the end of the 24 months and can just pay for monthly gamepass (currently £10.99 a month) after that.

Important to note as well that 'All Access' will involve a credit check.

Or pay £249 for the console at the beginning and then monthly for gamepass separately - £10.99 per month. No credit check here.

@Aquamarine1029 is wrong in mentioning discs. Assuming you are talking about the new Xbox Series S - then there is no disc drive. But you can buy games from their digital store - or codes from websites such as cdkeys.com. Note the games are often more expensive to buy on the digital store than buying a disc second hand from CEX or ebay - so this is a disadvantage of the Series S. Only the Series X (which costs £449, so quite a bit more expensive) has a disc drive.

Hope this helps.

zoomiecraziness Mon 16-Nov-20 17:19:16

Thanks @PizzaForOne that sounds better.. I thought it was £250 for the console and £21 a month for the games.. which for a 9 and 7 year old I didn't want to pay that much a month. But £11 is much better.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in