Talk

Advanced search

Switch games advice Please

(12 Posts)
Imustbemad00 Thu 03-Oct-19 20:53:28

I’ve just ordered a switch for myself my sons birthday next month.
I’m not a gamer by any stretch but I’m quite looking forward to a bit of nostalgia and a bit of Mario. I haven’t played a tv device for many years.

What games would people recommend.
I’m probably going to try and get 4 over borthday and Xmas.
I’m thinking Mario kart, Harry Potter as he’s a massive fan, and then I’m torn between Mario odyssey and super Mario bros. He plays super Mario on ds so is familiar with it, and I also like it. Is Pusey a substitute or a completely different game?
Also, he’s a Pokemon fan and would want let’s go pikachu but I know there are new Pokemon games coming out so which would be better. I’m clueless so are they quite similar? Like he has moon and sun on the ds and a couple of others and they’re all fairly similar.
Thanks in advance for any advice

WaterSheep Thu 03-Oct-19 20:58:39

Recommending games is tricky as you haven't said his age.

I'm going to presume 7-10 going off the games you've posted about.

The new Pokemon game will be more similar to sun and moon, so I would get one of those. The Lets go Pikachu / Eevee games are very different from the normal games.

I would also recommend Spyro and Crash, nostalgic for you but he will also really enjoy them.

For when he's in bed I recommend you buy Zelda breath of the wild

buckeejit Thu 03-Oct-19 21:02:42

Ds9 got one for Christmas last year. He & dh were obsessed with Zelda. They haven't bothered with much else but ds had a massive meltdown last night that there were so many empty games pockets in his case so watching with interest!

Imustbemad00 Thu 03-Oct-19 21:29:25

Sorry I thought I’d said. He will be 7.
How is the pikachu game different? It was so heavily advertised that that’s the one he wants but he doesn’t know about the new ones yet and he loves moon/sun.

I’ve heard Zelda is good. Might buy it after Xmas as a treat for myself.

ritzbiscuits Mon 07-Oct-19 12:51:24

My DS (6) and I watched a few IGN You Tube videos to see which ones he liked the most. After that he's desperate for 'Mario Maker 2' as he wants to make his own levels. Worth a look for your son if you think he may like that.

For now we're going to start with Mario Maker, Mario Kart, Lego Ninjago (his favourite Lego) and I make get Zelda or Sonic for me.

Re: Pokemon, I'm holding out for the reviews of the new Sword/Shield game before making a decision on that one.

GummiberryJuice Mon 07-Oct-19 13:42:17

My DS got the pokemon switch last year and he doesn't play the Pikachu game much in comparison to sun and moon on the ds. We have Mario Odyssey (very like super Mario galaxy wii) and love it, Super Mario bros too

TitchyP Mon 07-Oct-19 13:50:58

I've done the same so watching with interest! I'm going for Mario odyssey I think.

I've heard good things about Overcooked too.

lornathewizzard Mon 07-Oct-19 13:59:02

Mario odyssey is great fun, I would recommend that. And Mario kart for sure

Justabadwife Mon 07-Oct-19 14:05:05

@titchyP overcooked is great, but highly stressful. Like I leave the room I get so stressed with it.

BertieBotts Mon 07-Oct-19 14:08:10

Super mario bros is a side scrolling one like the old mario, whereas oddesey is a 3D one like Rayman.

What about Mario Party? We have that one and we love it.

Imustbemad00 Mon 07-Oct-19 14:10:27

I think I’m leaning more towards super Mario as were so familiar with it.
Thanks for the info about the pikachu game. I think I’ll give that a miss.

LonginesPrime Mon 07-Oct-19 14:12:12

Rain World. The art work is amazing.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »