Talk

Advanced search

Note: This topic is for discussing games and gaming. If you want to buy or sell games, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

To Wii or not to Wii

(11 Posts)
Alakazam7 Wed 07-Feb-18 10:14:29

No idea about gaming at all but have a sonic mad child. I want to get something new for her, she has an iPad and desktop already.
I want something that she can play with me co operatively, start minecraft on - instead of sonic! and just dance & other active games to get her moving around. I was initially thinking of a wii but am unsure which model and also not sure if I would be better with another system. Also would reconditioned be ok for a first one to see how she takes to it, with a view to replacing it if successful. Thought this would be easier!

Xexyz Sat 10-Feb-18 19:53:43

You can’t get Minecraft for the Wii.

The Wii U has Minecraft and you can also play all the Wii games as well. It’s been discontinued now though.

Alakazam7 Wed 14-Feb-18 23:55:09

Would I be better going for a switch then? I haven’t checked if you can get Minecraft for that either- I know absolutely nothing about gaming really- just know what I want from any system I do get.

PelvicFloorClenchReminder Thu 15-Feb-18 00:02:30

If it's not specifically nintendo games you're after you might be better off getting an xbox one 500gb, both the wii u and the switch only have 32gb which fills up pretty fast. You can play blu rays on the xbox too!

PelvicFloorClenchReminder Thu 15-Feb-18 00:03:47

Plus, you can't get bbc i player on nintendo, and I don't think the switch has netflix etc either yet.

Alakazam7 Thu 15-Feb-18 06:42:48

I’m not sure but think it might be the Nintendo games. I want to encourage shared play, more physical activity & turn taking so was looking for games like Singstar and just dance as well as some sports games.
Sorry for my ignorance but thought a wii would be the only one that would do this sort of thing.

Catterfly Thu 15-Feb-18 09:22:26

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

outsetisland Thu 15-Feb-18 21:55:30

I would choose the switch, it has minecraft which you can buy on the eshop. We have sonic mania too also bought from eshop. Personally recommend Splatoon, me and the kids love it! The switch can be used as a handheld as well as on tv also.

Alakazam7 Thu 15-Feb-18 22:56:17

Thanks outset, do you know if there are similar opportunities for exercise related games with the switch. The physical activity bit is one of my main reasons for getting it. Also can the hand held part be played anywhere or does it rely on an Internet connection?

FJCE83 Thu 15-Feb-18 23:05:45

Our 7yr old has just got the switch, I was sceptical but I can honestly say it was a brilliant buy. Perfect for us as he can take it with him when we go on holiday etc... handheld part can be used without an internet connection although some games like Splatoon (which is brilliant) do need the internet. We have just dance which would fit the activity part but not sure of others yet. There is an eshop as well with cheaper games like you’d get on an ipad so you don’t have to always get the expensive games.

outsetisland Fri 16-Feb-18 20:59:07

I think 1 2 Switch and Arms (I think) have movement involved. We don't have these games so not really sure but give them a google I'm sure you can find out. You can play games offline as well as on, Mariokart 8, Mario Odyssey, Splatoon 2 has a single player mode as well as online, Rayman legends is also really good and can be played offline.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now