Talk

Advanced search

Xbox live - safe for kids??

(5 Posts)
whatnextfred Sat 09-Dec-17 08:08:51

Can anyone tell me about Xbox live? My kids are 10/8/5 and have an Xbox one. They mainly just Minecraft on it but have been asking about getting the ‘live’ so as to access Roblox and stuff. Is it safe? Can you easily block unsuitable content and people from messaging and stuff? I’m totally clueless but if it’s okay am thinking of adding to the Xmas present pile between them. Thanks in advance

OP’s posts: |
whatnextfred Sat 09-Dec-17 09:17:32

Anyone?

OP’s posts: |
StreyyTV Mon 11-Dec-17 09:23:00

You can set up a child's LIVE account. This will deactivate most features. They won't be able to receive messages off people unless they are friends, and they won't be able to send or accept friend requests without your approval.

Just be aware that the LIVE controls don't necessarily extend to the games themselves. ROBLOX has it's own chat inside the game. It has a very heavy filter on it to block offensive content, but your kids would be able to chat to people on there as strangers.

Your 8 and 10 year old have probably done internet safety stuff at school already. This could be a good chance for them put what they've learned into practice. Just make sure to keep an eye on them.

TrickyKid Mon 11-Dec-17 09:26:43

There are various settings. You can allow them to play online without being able to talk, via the sensor or chat through messages. My kids play with people they are friends with in real life and we've not had any problems.

GrahamKnowsHow Sun 04-Feb-18 11:51:00

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in